from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that sits, especially:
- n. A person who cares for young children when the parents are not home; a babysitter.
- n. A person who poses or models, as for a portrait.
- n. A brooding hen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who sits e.g. for a portrait.
- n. One employed to watch or tend something; the general form of babysitter, housesitter, petsitter, etc.
- n. A broody hen.
- n. A really easy scoring chance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who sits; esp., one who sits for a portrait or a bust.
- n. A bird that sits or incubates.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which sits
- n. A brooding or incubating bird.
- n. One who takes a certain posture, position, or course in order to a particular end; specifically, one who poses to an artist for a portrait, bust, or the like.
- n. One who watches during the night.
- n. In cricket: An easy catch missed by a fielder.
- n. A fielder who misses such a catch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person engaged to care for children when the parents are not home
- n. a domestic hen ready to brood
- n. Dutch astronomer who calculated the size of the universe and suggested that it is expanding (1872-1934)
- n. an organism (person or animal) that sits
- n. a person who poses for a painter or sculptor
to sit + -er (Wiktionary)