from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal An astronomer.
- n. An astrologer.
- n. A daydreamer.
- n. Any of various bottom-dwelling marine percoid fishes of the families Uranoscopidae and Dactyloscopidae, having eyes on the top of the head.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who stargazes.
- n. A perciform fish in the family Uranoscopidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who gazes at the stars; an astrologer; sometimes, in derision or contempt, an astronomer.
- n. Any one of several species of spiny-rayed marine fishes belonging to Uranoscopus, Astroscopus, and allied genera, of the family Uranoscopidæ. The common species of the Eastern United States are Astroscopus anoplus, and Astroscopus guttatus. So called from the position of the eyes, which look directly upward.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who gazes; at the stars; especially, an astrologer, or, humorously, an astronomer.
- n. A book-name of fishes of the family Uranoscopidæ: so called from the vertical eyes. The name originally designated Uranoscopus europæus. Astroscopus guttatus is a common stargazer of the United States.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. heavy-bodied marine bottom-lurkers with eyes on flattened top of the head
- n. someone indifferent to the busy world
- n. a physicist who studies astronomy
Sorry, no etymologies found.