from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the casting of horoscopes at a person's birth
- n. A person who casts horoscopes
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to nativities; calculated by astrologers; showing position of stars at one's birth.
- n. A birthday poem.
- n. One skilled in genethliacs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to one's birthday or nativity; specifically, in astrology, pertaining to nativities as calculated by astrologers; relating to genitures or to the doctrine of them; showing the positions of the stars at the birth of any person. Also genethliacal.
- n. A birthday poem. Also genethliacon.
- n. One who is versed in genethlialogy.
- n. plural Same as genethlialogy.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Whereof a right pregnant instance by them is given in the nativities of Aeneas and Choroebus; the latter of which two is by Euphorion said to have been a fool, and yet had with the former the same aspects and heavenly genethliac influences.
'That is a question,' he said, 'to put to your astrologer, your oneirocritic, your genethliac.
He wrote it down in the native tongue about forty years ago, as recited by an _ah-kih_, “reader of days,” a native master of the genethliac art, who had composed it in favor of a client who had asked his intercession.
Doubtless this was partly attributable to the scarcity of food which prevailed; but that the authorities traced it also to some secret ceremonials is evident from the law which was immediately passed forbidding the Indians to wear the _piochtli_, or scalp-lock, a portion of the hair preserved from birth as part of the genethliac rituals, [32-§] and the especial enactments against the _octli_.
The star which looked upon a child at the hour of his birth, was called the horoscopus, and the peculiar influence of each planet was determined by professors of the genethliac art.
Really it must be admitted that only in England and America is there anybody who knows how to establish the genethliac theme and construct a horoscope. "
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.