from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the Percoidea, a large suborder of spiny-finned fishes that includes the perches, sunfishes, groupers, and grunts.
- n. A fish belonging to the suborder Percoidea.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or belonging to Percoidea, a taxonomic superfamily in the order Perciformes.
- n. Any fish of the genus Perca, or allied genera of the family Percidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Belonging to, or resembling, the perches, or family Percidæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Perch-like; perciform; of or pertaining to the Percoïdes or Percidæ, in any sense. A1so percoideous.
- n. A perch; any member of the Percoides or Percidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous spiny-finned fishes of the order Perciformes
The nearest respectable sport for the fly or minnow man is with black bass, in the smaller lakes and connecting rivers within two or three hours 'railway journey; and there are six or eight other percoid forms such as striped, calico, and rock bass, and several of the sunfishes, all of which take a fly.
This is a percoid, _Serranus nigritus_ of Holbrook, and one of the very best table-fishes of these waters.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.