from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the Percoidea, a large suborder of spiny-finned fishes that includes the perches, sunfishes, groupers, and grunts.
- n. A fish belonging to the suborder Percoidea.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or belonging to Percoidea, a taxonomic superfamily in the order Perciformes.
- n. Any fish of the genus Perca, or allied genera of the family Percidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Belonging to, or resembling, the perches, or family Percidæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Perch-like; perciform; of or pertaining to the Percoïdes or Percidæ, in any sense. A1so percoideous.
- n. A perch; any member of the Percoides or Percidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous spiny-finned fishes of the order Perciformes
From New Latin Percoīdea, suborder name : Latin perca, perch; see perch2 + New Latin -oīdea, pl. of -oīdēs, resembling (from Greek -oeidēs; see -oid).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin perca ("perch") (Wiktionary)