from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several small tropical marine fishes of the family Priacanthidae, having large eyes and reddish scales.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any fish in the taxonomic family Priacanthidae, which have large eyes.
- n. Any of certain fish or shark species identified by their large eyes, in particular bigeye tuna, Thunnus obesus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fish of the genus Priacanthus, remarkable for the large size of the eye.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the genus Priacanthus and family Priacanthidæ: so called from its very large round eyes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. red fishes of American coastal tropical waters having very large eyes and rough scales
big + eye. (Wiktionary)