from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various chiefly tropical marine fishes of the family Polynemidae, having threadlike rays extending from the lower part of the pectoral fin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many perciform fish of the family Polynemidae
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of fishes belonging to Polynemus and allied genera. They have numerous long pectoral filaments.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any fish of the genus Polynemus: so called from the long pectoral filaments. See cut under Polynemus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. mullet-like tropical marine fishes having pectoral fins with long threadlike rays
Sorry, no etymologies found.