from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small North American percoid freshwater fishes of the family Centrarchidae, having laterally compressed, often brightly colored bodies and including the crappies, black bass, bluegill, and pumpkinseed.
- n. Any of several large marine fishes of the family Molidae, especially the ocean sunfish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various small freshwater fishes of the family Centrarchidae, often with iridescent colours and having a laterally compressed body.
- n. Any of various large marine fishes of the family Molidae that have an oval compressed body.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A very large oceanic plectognath fish (Mola mola, Mola rotunda, or Orthagoriscus mola) having a broad body and a truncated tail.
- n. Any one of numerous species of perch-like North American fresh-water fishes of the family Centrachidæ. They have a broad, compressed body, and strong dorsal spines. Among the common species of the Eastern United States are Lepomis gibbosus (called also bream, pondfish, pumpkin seed, and sunny), the blue sunfish, or dollardee (L. pallidus), and the long-eared sunfish (L. auritus). Several of the species are called also pondfish.
- n. The moonfish, or bluntnosed shiner.
- n. The opah.
- n. The basking, or liver, shark.
- n. Any large jellyfish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common name of various fishes.
- n. A jellyfish, especially one of the larger kinds, a foot or so in diameter. See cut under Cyanea.
- To act like a sunfish, specifically as in the quotation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. among the largest bony fish; pelagic fish having an oval compressed body with high dorsal and anal fins and caudal fin reduced to a rudder-like lobe; worldwide in warm waters
- n. small carnivorous freshwater percoid fishes of North America usually having a laterally compressed body and metallic luster: crappies; black bass; bluegills; pumpkinseed
- n. the lean flesh of any of numerous American perch-like fishes of the family Centrarchidae
From its roundish body and bright colors.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
sun + fish (Wiktionary)