American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Exposed to or abounding in sunshine: a sunny room.
- adj. Cheerful; genial: a sunny smile.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like the sun; shining or dazzling with light, luster, or splendor; radiant; bright.
- Proceeding from the sun: as, sunny beams.
- Exposed to the rays of the sun; lighted up, brightened, or warmed by the direct rays of the sun: as, the sunny side of a hill or building.
- Figuratively, bright; cheerful; cheery: as, a sunny disposition.
- n. A familiar name of the common sunfish, or pumpkin-seed, Pomotis (Eupomotis) gibbosus, and related species. See cut under sunfish.
- adj. Featuring a lot of sunshine.
- adj. of a place Receiving a lot of sunshine.
- adj. figuratively Cheerful.
- adv. US, regional sunny side up
- n. A sunfish.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the sun; proceeding from, or resembling the sun; hence, shining; bright; brilliant; radiant.
- adj. Exposed to the rays of the sun; brightened or warmed by the direct rays of the sun.
- adj. Cheerful; genial.
- n. (Zoöl.) See sunfish (b).
- adj. bright and pleasant; promoting a feeling of cheer
- From sun + -y. (Wiktionary)
“They also point out, while Senator McCain, they say, has a good, strong record on fiscal responsibility, the environment, some examples, "The Dallas Morning News" writes that it has pause about Senator McCain, noting his age -- he is 71 years old -- also his temperament, saying that it differs from what it calls the sunny side brand of conservatism offered by Mike Huckabee.”
“As she looked at him she had a fancy that she was leaving him in a lonely place -- she who was going back to what he called the sunny paths.”
“Taking off from the classic film “Revenge of the Nerds”, the writers decided to put the nerds in sunny Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., where they run into the same old enemies and engage in the same old sex-jinks.”
“Originally from northern New Jersey, he now lives in sunny central Florida.”
“But, you say, you're still back in sunny Saskatchewan?”
“A live auction will be taking place January 16-17 at the Pasadena Convention Center in sunny California.”
“You'll find similar scenes at stadiums across the country, not just at Staples Center in sunny Southern California or US Airways Center in the Arizona desert.”
“My mother-in-law (who lives in sunny NC) found out she was severely deprived when her doc ran a routine blood screening.”
“CDC: Americans in sunny states happiest, N.Y. least”
“Well, just two days ago I was in sunny 70 degree weather, but it's back to reality!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sunny’.
A marque list for cars--models or companies who've used common words as their name.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Yay, it's no longer raining (130 words) and snowing (600 words).
emotions, reactions, senses, how do we feel when we wear gold, generational, memories,
Here is a list of Double Letter Words! Everyone is welcome to add some more words if needed!
Feel good words.
Words that have been used as baby names, including virtue names, nature names, place names, etc.
The title is an actual name given to a Puritan boy in the 17th century.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for sunny.