American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Going out or away; departing: an outgoing passenger train.
- adj. Retiring from or relinquishing a place, position, or office: the outgoing chairperson.
- adj. Addressed for sending: outgoing mail.
- adj. Sociable and responsive to others; friendly: a warm, outgoing personality.
- adj. Intended to be taken out, as from a restaurant: outgoing orders of Chinese food.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of going out.
- n. That which goes out; outlay; expenditure: generally in the plural.
- n. plural Utmost border; extreme limits.
- Going out; departing; removing: as, an outgoing tenant.
- adj. Comfortable in social settings and interactions; confident in dealing with people especially in meeting new people; gregarious.
- adj. not comparable Going out, on its way out.
- adj. not comparable Being replaced in office (while still in office but after election has determined will be replaced).
- n. The act of leaving or going out; exit, departure
- n. Money that leaves one's possession; expenditure, outlay, expense
- v. present participle of outgo.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act or the state of going out.
- n. That which goes out; outgo; outlay.
- n. obsolete The extreme limit; the place of ending.
- adj. Going out; departing; leaving.
- adj. Being sent out.
- adj. Enjoying the company of others; pleasant and responsive to others; sociable; friendly; convivial; cordial; -- of people. Opposite of
- adj. at ease in talking to others
- adj. retiring from a position or office
- adj. leaving a place or a position
“An exchange occurs when at least one incoming, and at least one outgoing process undergoes a change in the value of the conserved quantity, where ˜outgoing™ and”
“Being outgoing is the key --- you said it yourself, being around people you like makes you anxious.”
“Las Vegas is using RFIDs in outgoing luggage now to help move bags more efficiently.”
“The comparative figure study leads us back to the first draft of President Dwight D. Eisenhower's Farewell Address of January 17, 1961, in which the following statement was made by a two term outgoing Republican chief executive who served as Supreme Allied Commander in World War Two in a previous role as General Eisenhower:”
“Incoming calls cost 1.1 cents per minute, outgoing is the same and long-distance is 2 cents per minute.”
“In our extrovertist society, being outgoing is considered normal and therefore desirable, a mark of happiness, confidence, leadership.”
“VP in outgoing administartion nominated, little opposition: 2 times”
“China not only has the techie companies working with them, but they have a large and full-time staff of censors whose job it is to search for key words in outgoing mail and Web traffic, finding anything that might be remotely controversial and blocking it.”
“Keith and the Girl spend a TOTAL of $30 per month on their podcast in outgoing cashflow.”
“I called the outgoing French president, and he said, 'Oh, tell me Hillary's going to win.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘outgoing’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
Terms used for and by entities with executive power
forge a coalition..., head of state, head of government, public administra..., beef up the infor..., devolution, streamline state ..., back out of sg, break a pledge, excoriate, executive committee, implement the agr... and 99 more...
An extensive list I have been working on for quite some time. Feel free to add more of the kind if you miss any.
Very basic words for ESL students.
English words I'm learning in class, reading, browsing Internet, etc.
w. iz da clst ting since 5th. Daz when Iwz intro. Den I dnt rly no 'bout it, but I'm learning every DAY.
Looking for tweets for outgoing.