American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or befitting a friend: friendly advice.
- adj. Favorably disposed; not antagonistic: a government friendly to our interests.
- adj. Warm; comforting.
- adj. User-friendly.
- adj. Informal Easy to understand or use for a specified agent. Often used in combination: a reader-friendly novel; a consumer-friendly policy.
- adv. In the manner of a friend; amicably.
- n. Informal One fighting on or favorable to one's own side: "If I read this right, you're the only friendly we have there right now” ( Tom Clancy).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like a friend; disposed to confer benefits; kind.
- Characteristic of or befitting a friend or friends; amicable; amiable: as, to be on friendly terms.
- Not hostile; disposed to peace: as, a friendly power or state.
- Favorable; propitious; salutary; conferring benefit: as, a friendly breeze or gale; rains friendly to ripening fruits.
- Pertaining or belonging to the Society of Friends.
- In the manner of friends; in the way of friendship; with friendship.
- n. One who is friendly or acts as a friend; specifically, a native of a naturally hostile country who is not only not hostile, but who acts as a friend to a traveler, explorer, or the like.
- adj. Generally warm, approachable and easy to relate with in character.
- adj. Inviting, characteristic of friendliness.
- adj. Having an easy relationship with something, as in user-friendly etc.
- adj. Without any hostility, as in friendly competition.
- adj. military Of or pertaining to friendlies (friendly noun sense 2, below). Also applied to other bipolar confrontations, such as team sports
- adj. number theory Being or relating to two or more natural numbers with a common abundancy.
- adv. In a friendly manner, like a friend.
- n. sports A game which is of no consequence in terms of ranking, betting etc.
- n. Person or entity on the same side of a conflict.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having the temper and disposition of a friend; disposed to promote the good of another; kind; favorable.
- adj. Appropriate to, or implying, friendship; befitting friends; amicable.
- adj. Not hostile.
- adj. Promoting the good of any person; favorable; propitious; serviceable.
- adv. obsolete In the manner of friends; amicably; like friends.
- n. A friendly person; -- usually applied to natives friendly to foreign settlers or invaders.
- n. (Mil.) A member of one's own military forces, or of allied forces.
- adj. easy to understand or use
- adj. of or belonging to your own country's forces or those of an ally
- adj. inclined to help or support; not antagonistic or hostile
- adj. characteristic of or befitting a friend
- n. troops belonging to or allied with your own military forces
- friend + -ly (Wiktionary)
“Similar steps to friendly reviewer above, but not so friendly***”
“The con is small and small-press friendly perhaps too friendly*, and generally put together.”
“Your big mental outlook should make you feel friendly toward him as your prospect, and you can make the approach of _courage that is friendly_.”
“The phrase "friendly divorce" may strike some as an oxymoron, but it is increasingly a trend and a real possibility.”
“Helen stared up at me, her expression friendly but quizzical.”
“Does the term friendly neighborhood super hero mean anything to you?”
“Wu said the Chinese government is committed to developing what he called friendly and cooperative relations with Pyongyang.”
“LOTHIAN: But Ahmadinejad essentially accused the president of interfering in Iran's affairs, then issued what he called friendly advice.”
“Meanwhile Intel chairman Andy Grove was walking the floor, in what he described as a friendly, inquisitive visit.”
“And he said that what he hopes is that the president listens to what he calls friendly voices, Republican voices, and that he does come to Congress and have a discussion, before, actually, continuing with his military strategy to send more troops to Iraq -- Wolf.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘friendly’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
anagrams of wordieniknames
Anything hugging related :)
The present, the future. Goals, wishes, hopes.
A complete list of the green cards (adjectives) from the popular word game.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Most common words for Brennan Novak on http://emoo.me
Looking for tweets for friendly.