from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by or performing acts of kindness or charity.
- adj. Producing benefit; beneficial.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Given to acts that are kind, charitable, philanthropic or beneficial.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Doing or producing good; performing acts of kindness and charity; characterized by beneficence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Doing or effecting good; performing acts of kindness and charity; marked by or resulting from good will.
- Synonyms Beneficent, Beneficial, bountiful, bounteous, liberal, munificent, generous, kind. Beneficent always implies a kind and worthy purpose back of that to which the adjective applies; beneficial does not.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. doing or producing good
- adj. generous in assistance to the poor
Probably from beneficence, on the model of such pairs as benevolent, benevolence.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)