American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Generous in giving money or other help to the needy.
- adj. Mild or tolerant in judging others; lenient.
- adj. Of, for, or concerned with charity: a charitable organization. See Synonyms at benevolent.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or characterized by charity. Disposed to exhibit charity; disposed to supply the wants of others; benevolent and kind; beneficent.
- Pertaining to almsgiving or relief of the poor; springing from charity, or intended for charity: as, a charitable enterprise; a charitable institution.
- Lenient in judging of others; not harsh; favorable: as, a charitable judgment of one's conduct.
- adj. Pertaining to charity.
- adj. Kind, generous.
- adj. Having a purpose or character of a charity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Full of love and good will; benevolent; kind.
- adj. Liberal in judging of others; disposed to look on the best side, and to avoid harsh judgment.
- adj. Liberal in benefactions to the poor; giving freely; generous; beneficent.
- adj. Of or pertaining to charity; springing from, or intended for, charity; relating to almsgiving; eleemosynary.
- adj. Dictated by kindness; favorable; lenient.
- adj. full of love and generosity
- adj. relating to or characterized by charity
- adj. showing or motivated by sympathy and understanding and generosity
- charity + -able (Wiktionary)
“The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency.”
“I presume that, if you are willing to tout, through general publication, certain "charitable" organizations as "the best" in a particular region of Mexico that you are prepared to do your due diligence to assure potential contributors that funds contributed to a thus chosen organization will be expended in a manner entirely consistent with the goals of the contributor.”
“For example, The Salvation Army's iconic Red Kettle Campaign, which provides food, toys and clothing to the needy during Christmas, reached a new record in charitable gifts in 2008 that was up 10 percent from the year before.”
“The purpose of this letter is to request that information and documents needed for an investigation of certain charitable organizations be produced voluntarily as to avoid the need for a subpoena," the letter states, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post.”
“Amid grim reports about the significant decrease in charitable giving, ABC's Good Morning America highlights a Consumer Reports study that reveals the opposite: this year's ...”
“Amid grim reports about the significant decrease in charitable giving, ABC's”
“Amid grim reports about the significant decrease in charitable giving, ABC”
“According to court filings, the foundation withdrew $290 million from the Ponzi scheme between 1995 and 2008, and made $160 million in charitable grants in the six years before Madoff's arrest.”
“I have been active in charitable work to increase diversity in independent schools in the Los Angeles area, but have been looking for a way to aid our public school system, the backbone of our nation's educational system and the prerequisite for meaningful democracy.”
“Despite their success, the band has remained down-to-earth and is involved in charitable endeavors.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘charitable’.
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
mostly from magoosh
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Vocabulary for Chapter Seven of the Best Christmas Pageant Ever
Words that I like for various reasons.
A list of SAT words that mean 'generous.' Based on Gruber's SAT Word Master word list. Categorizing words by meaning can help you to memorize more effectively.
Looking for tweets for charitable.