American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Full of sorrow; rueful.
- adj. Causing sorrow or pity.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Full of sorrow; sorrowful; woful; rueful.
- Causing ruth or pity; piteous.
- Full of ruth or pity; merciful; compassionate.
- adj. Full of sorrow; sorrowful; woeful; rueful.
- adj. Causing pity; piteous.
- adj. Full of ruth or pity; merciful; compassionate.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. feeling or expressing pain or sorrow for sins or offenses
- From Middle English reuthful, reowthful, equivalent to ruth + -ful. (Wiktionary)
“As Jim Morrison sang sorta: Feen and ruthful on teh western plains . . .”
“And he maketh a ruthful noise and ghastful, when one proffereth to fight with another: and unneth is hurt when he is thrown down off an high place.”
“Be more ruthless - except, that is with us your regular commenters, with whom you must remain tolerant and ruthful.”
“We got there by the wrong method methods and people are getting ruthful.”
“Sad was the man that word to hear that him so heavied in bowels ruthful.”
“Trojan, Paris, was privily stolen away out of their country, was greater or more pitiful than this ruthful and deplorable collugency of theirs?”
“Hylas, nor was the rapt of Polyxena more throbbingly resented and condoled by Priamus and Hecuba, than this aforesaid accident would be sympathetically bemoaned, grievous, ruthful, and anxious to the woefully desolate and disconsolate parents.”
“Sometimes the skull and other members of the body were seen detached along the road-side or on a stump, having been taken from their peaceful repose by ruthful hands or hungry dogs.”
“Long did I stand, in the sunshine of that day when first I saw the ruin, wondering and distressed, ruthful, indignant that such things should be.”
“Tain't no use to offer a man no kind of young lollypop when he have got his mouth fixed on a nice old-fashioned pound-cake woman," he added in a ruthful tone of voice as he and Rose Mary both laughed over the trying plight in which he found his misguided love affairs.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ruthful’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
eyeful, I-ful, i beamful, eifel
Looking for tweets for ruthful.