from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by or exhibiting sorrow, grief, or pain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Solemnly or ponderously sad.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Full of grief; sad; sorrowful; doleful; dismal
- adj. Occasioning pain or grief; painful.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Exciting or expressing sorrow, grief, or distress; dismal; mournful: as, a dolorous object; a dolorous region; dolorous sighs.
- Painful; giving pain.
- Synonyms See list under doleful.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. showing sorrow
Middle English, from Old French doloros, from Late Latin dolōrōsus, from dolor, dolor; see dolor.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French dolerous (modern French douloureux), from Latin dolōrōsus ("painful"). (Wiktionary)