from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Eliciting or capable of eliciting sympathy or tenderness. See Synonyms at moving.
- prep. Concerning; about.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of touch.
- adj. Provoking sadness and pity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Affecting; moving; pathetic.
- n. The sense or act of feeling; touch.
- prep. Concerning; with respect to.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Affecting; moving; pathetic.
- Concerning; relating to; with respect to: often preceded by as.
- n. The act of one who touches, in any sense.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. arousing affect
- n. the event of something coming in contact with the body
- n. the act of putting two things together with no space between them
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Talking leads to touching, and _touching_ leads to sex.
Note here: the advanced methods which worked are being defined as "child abuse" while the doctor's assault (which is what we call touching someone against their will) is supported by the power of the state.
Bad mortgage loans played a role in touching off the banking panic and the recession.
Known for the "dignity of movement and majesty of action" he brought to his acting, Wallack was nevertheless faulted for a lack of dramatic fervor and for an inability to sustain touching pathos.
The BBC stopped reporting on UK political opinion polls around the time that Labour stopped being ahead or at least within touching distance.
"It's all right," Michael said, again touching her hand.
Every game, everything he's touching is turning to gold, '' Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said.
Foisting adult concepts of sharing, boundaries, and appropriate touching is something they learn in time, and on their own.
HOWEVER – as was mentioned earlier, looking without touching is definitely permitted.
We were able to wander where we wanted, within touching distance of burning braziers, and in between molten lanterns.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.