American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Sharing an edge or boundary; touching.
- adj. Neighboring; adjacent.
- adj. Connecting without a break: the 48 contiguous states.
- adj. Connected in time; uninterrupted: served two contiguous terms in office.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Touching; meeting or joining at the surface or border; hence, close together; neighboring; bordering or adjoining; adjacent: as, two contiguous bodies, houses, or estates: usually followed by to.
- Specifically In entomology: So thickly strewn as to be close together or touch, but without coalescing: as, contiguous spots, dots, or punctures, Almost or quite touching at the base: as, contiguous antennæ.
- adj. connected; touching; abutting
- adj. adjacent; neighbouring/neighboring
- adj. connecting without a break
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. In actual contact; touching; also, adjacent; near; neighboring; adjoining.
- adj. very close or connected in space or time
- adj. connecting without a break; within a common boundary
- adj. having a common boundary or edge; abutting; touching.
- From Latin contiguus ("touching"), from contingere ("to touch"); see contingent, contact, contagion. (Wiktionary)
- From Latin contiguus, from contingere, contig-, to touch; see contact. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The 48 states besides Alaska and Hawaii are referred to as the contiguous U.S., rather than the continental U.S.”
“Both Bush and Kerry advocate the creation of a Palestinian state that would be viable and "contiguous" - that is, something more than a collection of little Bantustans like the pseudo-sovereign states set up by the old apartheid regime in South Africa.”
“During a 2009 speech to the Indianapolis Rotary Club, he called the state "the wild west of redistricting," complaining that the only rule governing the process is that districts have to be "contiguous" - and there's little clarification about what that means.”
“If, however, the U.S. turns Biden's word -- "contiguous" -- into a binding commitment, encompassing virtually all of the West Bank and Gaza, it would be hard for the Palestinians to walk away.”
“Had I commanded, I should have moved in contiguous columns of brigades, my cavalry protecting my advance up to the enemy's position till within range of his guns, the troops so moving as to be able to anticipate any movement of the enemy to the discomfort of Ferozepore, and to enable me to throw the weight of the attack upon the right of the enemy, if, as I apprehended from all I had heard, he was as assailable upon his right as on any other given point.”
“The large and enduring threat that the U.S. and Israel are looking for can be described as a contiguous swath of land where the so-called radical Muslims roam unchecked.”
“International law recognizes that coastal nations may establish zones contiguous to their territorial seas, known as contiguous zones.”
“I imagine that the notion of contiguous space-times with varying properties looks quite logical if you're used to thinking of a universe with an extremely small radius.”
“Interference with shipping beyond the so-called contiguous zone (another 12 miles beyond the 12 miles of territorial waters) would be also a violation of the freedom of the high seas, in this case aggravated if the ships in question were on a widely acknowledged humanitarian mission to break a criminally unlawful blockade.”
“The explanatory variables we used were the log transformed recombination rate, the GC content, CpG count, the number of bases that are part of a poly (A/T) tract (defined as a contiguous stretch of at least 4 bp with only A's or only T's), the percentage sites in coding regions, the percentage of sites in UTR (in Genbank the designated mRNA which is not coding) and the percentage of sites not scanned.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘contiguous’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Terms pertaining to lace and lace-making. Patterns, tools, types, styles, stitches.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Princeton Review words
Words meaning touching
need to know these words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking for tweets for contiguous.