from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Close to; lying near: adjacent cities.
- adj. Next to; adjoining: adjacent garden plots.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Lying next to, close, or contiguous; neighboring; bordering on.
- adj. Just before, after, or facing.
- n. Something that lies next to something else, especially the side of a right triangle that is neither the hypotenuse nor the opposite.
- prep. Next to; adjacent to; beside.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Lying near, close, or contiguous; neighboring; bordering on.
- adj. See Angle.
- n. That which is adjacent.
- n. such as have one leg common to both angles.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lying near, close, or contiguous; adjoining; neighboring: as, a field adjacent to the highway.
- n. That which is next or contiguous; an abutting neighbor.
- n. In logic, a predicate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having a common boundary or edge; abutting; touching
- adj. nearest in space or position; immediately adjoining without intervening space
- adj. near or close to but not necessarily touching
"It is not a snooty place to live," said Louis Andors, an agent with Keller Williams who lives in adjacent Aurora Hills.
To an economist or strategic planner, a city represents an area of dominant influence over markets in adjacent areas.
Two Models for Business Extensions a. Backwards from Customer Needs taking feedback from customers and evolving the offerings or adding new products in adjacent markets … i.e. Kindle
There were two workshops in adjacent rooms that had a big topic overlap: SE Foundations for End-user programming (SEE-UP) and Software Engineering for Computational Science and Engineering (SECSE, pronounced “sexy”).
The authorities did not enter the village and carried out their survey in adjacent Gobindpur village.
While these pockets of windmills will not allow hunting, they will allow wildlife to thrive in adjacent areas.
Los Indios is a very easy crossing point, with the immigration and aduana in adjacent buildings and with copy machines available and with no lines whatsoever.
If this worries you, then by all means go to Los Indios where they issue the papers in adjacent buildings.
What appears to be a shallow parting extends axially along the spine and between the buttocks [in adjacent image, note the demarcated buttocks and apparent wear on the buttocks].
This is condition sometimes seen in adjacent regions of Maine where I grew up, and is usually found in men with extremely high moral standards and extremely tight trousers.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.