American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Close to; lying near: adjacent cities.
- adj. Next to; adjoining: adjacent garden plots.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lying near, close, or contiguous; adjoining; neighboring: as, a field adjacent to the highway.
- n. That which is next or contiguous; an abutting neighbor.
- n. In logic, a predicate.
- adj. Lying next to, close, or contiguous; neighboring; bordering on.
- adj. Just before, after, or facing.
- n. Something that lies next to something else, especially the side of a right triangle that is neither the hypotenuse nor the opposite.
- prep. US Next to; adjacent to; beside.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Lying near, close, or contiguous; neighboring; bordering on.
- adj. (Geom.) See Angle.
- n. rare That which is adjacent.
- n. such as have one leg common to both angles.
- adj. having a common boundary or edge; abutting; touching.
- adj. nearest in space or position; immediately adjoining without intervening space
- adj. near or close to but not necessarily touching
- Latin adiacēns, adiacentis. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Latin adiacēns, adiacent-, present participle of adiacēre, to lie near : ad-, ad- + iacēre, to lie; see yē- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It is not a snooty place to live," said Louis Andors, an agent with Keller Williams who lives in adjacent Aurora Hills.”
“To an economist or strategic planner, a city represents an area of dominant influence over markets in adjacent areas.”
“Two Models for Business Extensions a. Backwards from Customer Needs taking feedback from customers and evolving the offerings or adding new products in adjacent markets … i.e. Kindle”
“There were two workshops in adjacent rooms that had a big topic overlap: SE Foundations for End-user programming (SEE-UP) and Software Engineering for Computational Science and Engineering (SECSE, pronounced “sexy”).”
“The authorities did not enter the village and carried out their survey in adjacent Gobindpur village.”
“While these pockets of windmills will not allow hunting, they will allow wildlife to thrive in adjacent areas.”
“Los Indios is a very easy crossing point, with the immigration and aduana in adjacent buildings and with copy machines available and with no lines whatsoever.”
“If this worries you, then by all means go to Los Indios where they issue the papers in adjacent buildings.”
“What appears to be a shallow parting extends axially along the spine and between the buttocks [in adjacent image, note the demarcated buttocks and apparent wear on the buttocks].”
“This is condition sometimes seen in adjacent regions of Maine where I grew up, and is usually found in men with extremely high moral standards and extremely tight trousers.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘adjacent’.
words for shape
( randomness, visual. descriptive )
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Use these and get promoted
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
we are all just passing through.
(boundaries, portals and liminal spaces/times)
TOEFL iBT - 1500 Academic Words
Mathematical metaphors in political discourse
need to know these words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking for tweets for adjacent.