from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Located a short distance away; close at hand. See Synonyms at close.
- adv. Not far away.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. adjacent, near, very close
- adv. next to, close to
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- situated near. Opposite of
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Close at hand; not far off; adjacent; neighboring: as, near-by towns.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. not far away in relative terms
- adj. close at hand
near + by (Wiktionary)