from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. For what purpose, reason, or cause; with what intention, justification, or motive: Why is the door shut? Why do birds sing?
- conj. The reason, cause, or purpose for which: I know why you left.
- conj. Usage Problem On account of which; for which: "The reason why [regular verbs] are called regular is that we can predict what all the other three forms are” ( Randolph Quirk).
- n. The cause or intention underlying a given action or situation: studying the whys of antisocial behavior.
- n. A difficult problem or question.
- interj. Used to express mild surprise, indignation, or impatience.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. For what cause, reason, or purpose.
- conj. The reason that.
- n. The reason.
- interj. Exclamation of mild surprise.
- n. A young heifer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. For what cause, reason, or purpose; on what account; wherefore; -- used interrogatively. See the Note under What, pron., 1.
- adv. For which; on account of which; -- used relatively.
- adv. The reason or cause for which; that on account of which; on what account; ; -- used as a compound relative.
- n. A young heifer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- For what cause, reason, or purpose? wherefore?
- For which reason or cause; on account of which; for what or which; also, as compound relative, the thing or reason for or on account of which.
- An emphatic or often expletive use of the adverb.
- Used as a call or an exclamation.
- n. A dialectal form of quey.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the cause or intention underlying an action or situation, especially in the phrase `the whys and wherefores'
Yeah, the pillow is spelled wrong, but why are pillows the enemy and for goodness sakes *why* do we need enough self discipline to stay away from them?
True true true…and why is it that ‘network news’ seem so upset in a concern-troll like way about Arm-a-dipshitwad stealing an election when they had no concern at all about Bush/Chaney stealing elections here at home..why?
I cant understand why they even wanna pump the money back into the companies that are part just one part of course of the cause for all this mess..why dont they put the money in the hands of the American people and let us decide our fate..instead of our crooked greedy politicians.
And hence, why those bingo points were expanded from a black humour joke into an explanation for each point that explains *why* they are ineffective arguments, complete with further reading.
I cant do that anymore, and profits I make during the year either go to an accountant or the Canadian Government...why not let me dontate..why not let me decide...there are 1000's like me who just move or go underground.
I _know_ why you were at Perry's Little Log Cabin, and _why_ you frequent Hernando's Hideaway.
The collector knows what he wants, and why he wants it, and that _why_ does not entirely depend on exteriors, though he may have his whim as to that also.
"But why -- _why_ --" Mrs. Whitney squeaked and panted, and her breath failed.
After spending weeks in teaching them, and fortunes on pieces of sugar, why, before an audience, will they insist on ringing the bell when they are told to shut the door? and when you ask them to sit up and beg, _why_ do they die for the Queen?
But why, said I, does this khanum -- (pointing to the unveiled one) -- why does she hold me so long in suspense?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.