from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A single- or double-breasted overcoat, usually with concealed buttons and a velvet collar.
- n. Chiefly Northern California & Canada A sofa.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A couch, sofa, or loveseat with padded arms and back of the same height, often curved outward at the top.
- n. Any couch or sofa.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a davenport with upright armrests.
- n. a fitted overcoat with a velvet collar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of topcoat, named after the celebrated Earl of Chesterfield.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fitted overcoat with a velvet collar
- n. suave and witty English statesman remembered mostly for letters to his son (1694-1773)
- n. an overstuffed davenport with upright armrests
After a 19th-century earl of Chesterfield.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)