from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large sofa, often convertible into a bed.
- n. A small desk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large sofa, especially a formal one.
- n. A writing desk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of small writing table, generally somewhat ornamental, and forming a piece of furniture for the parlor or boudoir.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of small writing-desk.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small decorative writing desk
- n. a city in eastern Iowa on the Mississippi River across from Moline and Rock Island
- n. a large sofa usually convertible into a bed
From obsolete davenport, a small writing desk, probably from the name of the manufacturer.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sofa sense was named for the now defunct furniture manufacturer A.H. Davenport Company. (Wiktionary)