American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A large sofa, often convertible into a bed.
- n. A small desk.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of small writing-desk.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A kind of small writing table, generally somewhat ornamental, and forming a piece of furniture for the parlor or boudoir.
- n. a small decorative writing desk
- n. a city in eastern Iowa on the Mississippi River across from Moline and Rock Island
- n. a large sofa usually convertible into a bed
- Sofa sense was named for the now defunct furniture manufacturer A.H. Davenport Company. (Wiktionary)
- From obsolete davenport, a small writing desk, probably from the name of the manufacturer. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The only person in the world I've ever heard use the word davenport is my mother!”
“I have had dear René's harp removed to a lumber room, her portrait taken down from the library wall," she said, in her usual purring tones; "and her davenport is being wheeled into my own sitting-room.”
“Marjorie almost ran back to the davenport -- she was beginning to feel as if the davenport was the nearest she had to a mother -- and flung herself on it in a storm of angry tears.”
“My grandmother always called it a "davenport", which made even less sense to me.”
“As for "davenport," it's a regionalism, and a dying one at that.”
“They sat close to one another on a rose davenport.”
“As to Ok, here macon online car insurance. online auto insurance could davenport new car insurance car insurance for hihg risk, with online auto insurance”
“Short of blacking her face I think she has run out of threats and insults. dan davenport”
“I'm sure your 'factual comments' will have much impact on democratic voters and the Democratic party, REALLY IT WILL. dan davenport”
“Her husband Ralph lay sprawled upon the davenport, smoking a cigarette and reading the current issue of EXTRAORDINARY STORIES against an unheard background of music.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘davenport’.
just the next words that come along
For stuff to simply reside.
This list was originally titled 'Furniture I Never Had'. I changed it to 'Things I Never Had' because I'm not much interested in furniture anyway :-( There's a whole wider world of not-having out t...
Looking for tweets for davenport.