American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Inlay of wood, often of different colors, that is worked into a geometric pattern or mosaic and is used especially for floors.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mosaic of woodwork used for floors, wainscoting, and the like. The pieces are nearly always bounded by straight lines, and the patterns are simple; there are many different ways of uniting the different pieces and of securing the whole together. See quotation under parquet, 4.
- n. The technique of applying wooden tiles or veneers to create a decorative geometrical pattern on floors, furniture etc.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A species of joinery or cabinet-work consisting of an inlay of geometric or other patterns, generally of different colors, -- used especially for floors.
- n. a patterned wood inlay used to cover a floor
- French parqueterie, from parquet; see parquet. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Get a set of pattern blocks also called parquetry blocks.”
“Whether you have parquetry blocks or any of the other materials suggested in the chapter, try making designs and having your child copy what you make.”
“Some examples include: sorting and classifying with manipulatives, playing board games and dominoes, working with large blocks for young children, smaller blocks for older kids, playing with linking cubes and parquetry blocks, stringing beads, making patterns with food, and playing with puzzles.”
“A lacquered parquetry table stood in the center, surrounded by colorful silk cushions.”
“In this context, the high voltage sexuality that bubbles up through the parquetry of the Belasco House seems made-to-order for a sexless, emotionally dead world - a consummation devoutly to be wish'd.”
“Best known these days for the likes of Windex window cleaner and Raid insecticide, closely held Johnson Wax was founded as a parquetry maker 123 years ago and then took up manufacturing carnauba-wax products to protect its relatively delicate flooring.”
“She dies, slackjawed and popeyed, squirting her life's blood out onto the parquetry as her killer beats a hasty retreat.”
“So, too, do designers of parquetry, roof tilers, ceramic painters and many more.”
“Ms R was only really planning to make the conquest not do the deed, but her friend was right: despite the fact that the man probably had an apartment with parquetry floors and windows giving an unparalleled view of Paris through which they could look out of while they lay in bed and smoked cigarettes, it was far more fun to speculate.”
“Slip sliding over the parquetry to the chaise lounge across the way, he fell upon her, raising her legs as he hammered into her in the total aberration of mindless oblivion.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘parquetry’.
Some more words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
All my favourite words that I come across!
A list of difficult words for L2-12 learners.
I've no idea where I got this page full of words, but whatever it is, I want to find it again. May have duplicate words from other lists.
Words from the California State Spelling Bee in 2011, from which I got fourth place.
Looking for tweets for parquetry.