from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An upholstered sofa or divan without arms or a back.
- n. An upholstered low seat or cushioned footstool.
- n. A heavy silk or rayon fabric with a corded texture, usually used for coats and trimmings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An upholstered sofa, without arms or a back, sometimes with a compartment for storing linen, etc.
- n. A low stool or thick cushion used to rest the feet or as a seat.
- n. A fabric with a pronounced ribbed or corded effect, often made of silk or a mixture .
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Turks.
- n. A Turk.
- n. A stuffed seat without a back, originally used in Turkey.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to that branch of the Turks to which belong the founders and ruling class of the Turkish or Ottoman empire.
- n. One of that branch of the Turks which founded and rule the Turkish empire.
- n. A piece of furniture forming a seat or seats, used in a drawing-room or sitting-room.
- n. A corded silk having large cords; a kind of gros-grain. Compare faille, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Turk (especially a Turk who is a member of the tribe of Osman I)
- n. the Turkish dynasty that ruled the Ottoman Empire from the 13th century to its dissolution after World War I
- adj. of or relating to the Ottoman Empire or its people or its culture
- n. a low seat or a stool to rest the feet of a seated person
- n. thick cushion used as a seat
Awsome, love it. kast on 03 Feb 2009 at 6: 11 pm # the ottoman is very colourful stripey … love it. .and i love the green rug too, like the fotball field ..
Matthew Hilton has taken inspiration for the Berwick lounge chair and ottoman from the elegance and subtlety found in the work of Vico Magistretti.
By the window I have my writing chair and ottoman, which is where I work, and to one side of the chair, w/in arms 'reach, is a floor to ceiling bookshelf.
On the ottoman were a feather, a fan, and a deck of cards.
On the ottoman was a stack of magazines; Stone began to go through them.
The thought of constantly dragging furniture out of the way made a serious dent in our motivation, so putting wheels on our ottoman was a huge help in setting up a usable workout space (Check back tomorrow and we'll show you step-by-step how we did it).
Contrast that to an ottoman, which is a rigid and usually barrel-like form completely covered with fabric, leather, embroidery, or beading -- more like a caramel-filled chocolate.
The ottoman was a slice of gravy, the chair on the other hand was a tight fit!
Practical and stylish, the ottoman is a popular option in interiors today.
The ottoman should be the same width as the inside of the love seat.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.