American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A succession of rulers from the same family or line.
- n. A family or group that maintains power for several generations: a political dynasty controlling the state.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A government; a sovereignty.
- n. A race or succession of sovereigns of the same line or family governing a particular country: as, the successive dynasties of Egypt or of France.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Sovereignty; lordship; dominion.
- n. A race or succession of kings, of the same line or family; the continued lordship of a race of rulers.
- n. a sequence of powerful leaders in the same family
- From Late Latin dynastia, from Ancient Greek δυναστεία (dunasteia, "power, dominion"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English dynastie, from Old French, from Late Latin dynastīa, lordship, from Greek dunasteia, from dunastēs, lord; see dynast. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The only thing right now you can call a dynasty is their coach and Duncan.”
“As nation builders, the Kim dynasty is a train wreck.”
“The dynasty is ruled by King Leodan who to all outward appearances is a strong and just king, but behind closed doors is a befuddled “mist” addict.”
“I'm just relieved that the Republican dynasty is self-destructing after 30 years .... we'll see this November if the witch is really Ding Dong Dead!”
“If that's not enough, there's a bonus wing dedicated to her likewise fallen son Rajiv — clearly the fascination with the generations of a still-present Gandhi dynasty is what all the excitement is about.”
“Face it, the Clinton dynasty is over, and not a moment too soon”
“The Clinton dynasty is over and now it's time for "change", the kind that Barack is proposing.”
“They were all sweetness and light when they were on top, but now that their little dynasty is threatened, they have become barroom brawlers.”
“IT S OVER ... get over your ego and realize the Clinton dynasty is almost over!!!!!”
“An unlikely dynasty is born, which will span continents, races, and generations.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dynasty’.
A marque list for cars--models or companies who've used common words as their name.
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee Round 2
Words describing family and heredity.
Looking for tweets for dynasty.