from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Government by a monarch.
- n. A state ruled or headed by a monarch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A government with a hereditary head of state (whether as a figurehead or as a powerful ruler).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A state or government in which the supreme power is lodged in the hands of a monarch.
- n. A system of government in which the chief ruler is a monarch.
- n. The territory ruled over by a monarch; a kingdom.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Supreme power wielded by a single person; absolute personal authority.
- n. The principle of government by a monarch; the monarchical system.
- n. A government in which the supreme power is either actually or nominally lodged in the hands of a monarch or sole ruler, who holds his position for life, generally with hereditary succession.
- n. The territory ruled over by a monarch; a kingdom; an empire.
- n. In theology, the doctrine that there is in the Godhead only one principle (
ἀρχή), cause ( αἰτία), source or fountain ( πηγή) of deity, namely God the Father, from whom the Son and the Holy Ghost derive their divinity. Also monorchia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an autocracy governed by a monarch who usually inherits the authority
Middle English monarchie, from Old French, from Latin monarchia, from Greek monarkhiā, from monarkhos, monarch; see monarch.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek μοναρχία. (Wiktionary)