American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Government by triumvirs.
- n. The office or term of a triumvir.
- n. A body or group of triumvirs.
- n. An association or a group of three. Also called troika.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office or magistracy of a triumvir, specifically of one of the ancient Roman groups of triumviri.
- n. Government by three men in coalition.
- n. A group of three men in office or authority; specifically, in Roman history, either the coalition (First Triumvirate) between Pompey, Julius Cæsar, and Crassus, 60 b. c., which controlled the Roman world for several years, or that (Second Triumvirate) between Mark Antony, Octavian (Augustus), and Lepidus, 43 b. c., which overthrew the republican party and ordered the second proscription. In the latter Lepidus was soon practically deposed, and Antony and Octavian shared the power until the overthrow of the former, 31 b. c.
- n. A party of three men; three men or three personifications in company or forming one group; also, a trio or triad of any kind.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Government by three in coalition or association; the term of such a government.
- n. A coalition or association of three in office or authority; especially, the union of three men who obtained the government of the Roman empire.
- n. a group of three men responsible for public administration or civil authority
- From Latin triumvīrātus. (Wiktionary)
- Latin triumvirātus, from triumvirī, board of three; see triumvir. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It meant opening with what he calls the triumvirate of fine dining - dress code, doorman and valet parking.”
“The other component of the coping triumvirate is the dreaded rationality, the bad-tasting hard-work and planning component.”
“The fifth, a nano-tech zombie novel called Biohell, containing your favourite Combat-K psychotic triumvirate, is due out November 2008.”
“The third member of the Microsoft online triumvirate is Brian McAndrews, the former chief executive of aQuantive, the advertising company Microsoft bought last year.”
“But it was the major label triumvirate of 1991's "Girlfriend," 1993's "Altered Beast," and 1995's "100% Fun" that Mr. Sweet became one of the landmark alternative acts of the era.”
“But letting more men be consul removes the glare from a long-term triumvirate.”
“You will not, perhaps, suspect, Lady Isabella,' said Lord O'Lerney, smiling, 'that one of that triumvirate is by no means deficient in parts, and can even, when he desires it, be extremely pleasing?”
“In his mind at least, I suspect, he is now one of this supposedly great "triumvirate" - a distinguished war leader willing to sacrifice the support of his natural constituency - the left-wing chattering classes - hopefully to go down in history as a principled and determined international statesman tackling psychopathic bullies.”
“In every synagogue there was a civil triumvirate, that is, three magistrates, who judged of matters in contest arising within that synagogue; which we have noted before.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘triumvirate’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
need to know these words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clusters, gatherings, and groups of humans.
My big word list.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Words and things that rub me wrong
Words, words, words!
Looking for tweets for triumvirate.