from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A group consisting of three closely related members. Also called triunity.
- n. Theology In most Christian faiths, the union of three divine persons, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in one God. Also called Trine.
- n. Trinity Sunday.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A group or set of three people or things; triad; trio; trine.
- n. The state of being three; threeness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The union of three persons (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost) in one Godhead, so that all the three are one God as to substance, but three persons as to individuality.
- n. Any union of three in one; three units treated as one; a triad, as the Hindu trinity, or Trimurti.
- n. Any symbol of the Trinity employed in Christian art, especially the triangle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition of being three; threeness.
- n. A set or group of three; a triad; a trio; a trine.
- n. [capitalized] The union of three persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—in one Godhead; the threefold personality of the one divine being.
- n. A symbolical representation of the mystery of the Trinity, frequent in Christian art.
- n. In heraldry, a bearing compounded of an orle, a pall, and four roundels, three at the angles of the orle where the bands of the pall meet it, the fourth at the intersection of the bands of the pall.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. three people considered as a unit
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of one and one and one
- n. the union of the Father and Son and Holy Ghost in one Godhead
The Bible does not contain the term trinity either, but repeatedly it refers to the “threeness” of God being God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Although the term trinity is a theological expression devised by the early Church Fathers in countering various heresies, such as Gnosticism, Sabellianism, and Arianism, and not to be found explicitly in the Bible, it is everywhere assumed and alluded to.
Some further thoughts remain to be thrown out in the third place, as to the prëconceivable fitness or propriety of that Holy Union, which we call the trinity of Persons who constitute the
Though the term trinity isn’t in the Bible, the truth of God’s three-in-one nature is.
At least there is no Trinity in trinity, no Superman in superman and no Wonder Woman in wonder Woman.
The doctrine of the trinity is really just short hand for three simple biblical truths
I'd argue that the third fete in that trinity is the annual fall gala of the New Yorkers for Children, a charitable organization that gives support to the city's foster care children.
May 3rd, 2008 8: 46 pm ET cunning obama is praying 7 votes into .. 7 points .. sad to see those dumb obama fans still believed in trinity liberal theory teaching .. 7 votes r 7 pontssss? are all obama supporters belonged to black teaching too .. lol
Hillary didn't join trinity over 20 years ago, Rev. Wright was not her pastor or mentor, she did not write a book inspired by one of Rev. Wright's sermons.
This symbol and strength in trinity has been adopted by everyone's favourite modern witches, reinterpreted as "the power of three, acting as one," by the three sisters of Charmed.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.