American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A group consisting of three closely related members. Also called triunity.
- n. Theology In most Christian faiths, the union of three divine persons, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in one God. Also called Trine.
- n. Trinity Sunday.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition of being three; threeness.
- n. A set or group of three; a triad; a trio; a trine.
- n. [capitalized] The union of three persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—in one Godhead; the threefold personality of the one divine being. The statements of the doctrine of the Trinity in the creeds of Christendom are the result of attempts to reconcile the accepted teaching of Scripture
- n. A symbolical representation of the mystery of the Trinity, frequent in Christian art. One of the most general forms in which the Trinity has been symbolized consists of a figure of the Father seated on a throne, the head surrounded with a triangular nimbus, or surmounted with a triple crown, Christ with the cross in front, and the Holy Spirit, in the form of a dove, resting on the cross. The mystic nnion of the three persons has also been symbolized by various emblems or devices in which three elements are combined into one whole, as, for instance, by the eqnilateral triangle, or a combination of the triangle, the circle, and sometimes the trefoil.
- n. In heraldry, a bearing compounded of an orle, a pall, and four roundels, three at the angles of the orle where the bands of the pall meet it, the fourth at the intersection of the bands of the pall. This last roundel bears the word deus; the other three, the words pater, filius, and spiritus sanctus respectively; each part of the pall bears the word est; each part of the orle the words non est.
- n. A group or set of three people or things; triad; trio; trine.
- n. The state of being three; threeness.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Christian Theol.) The union of three persons (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost) in one Godhead, so that all the three are one God as to substance, but three persons as to individuality.
- n. Any union of three in one; three units treated as one; a triad, as the Hindu trinity, or Trimurti.
- n. Any symbol of the Trinity employed in Christian art, especially the triangle.
- n. three people considered as a unit
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of one and one and one
- n. the union of the Father and Son and Holy Ghost in one Godhead
- From Old French trinité (French: trinité), from Latin trīnitās, from trīni ("three each"), from trēs ("three"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English trinite, from Old French, from Latin trīnitās, from trīnus, trine; see trine. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The Bible does not contain the term trinity either, but repeatedly it refers to the “threeness” of God being God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.”
“Although the term trinity is a theological expression devised by the early Church Fathers in countering various heresies, such as Gnosticism, Sabellianism, and Arianism, and not to be found explicitly in the Bible, it is everywhere assumed and alluded to.”
“Some further thoughts remain to be thrown out in the third place, as to the prëconceivable fitness or propriety of that Holy Union, which we call the trinity of Persons who constitute the”
“Though the term trinity isn’t in the Bible, the truth of God’s three-in-one nature is.”
“At least there is no Trinity in trinity, no Superman in superman and no Wonder Woman in wonder Woman.”
“The doctrine of the trinity is really just short hand for three simple biblical truths”
“I'd argue that the third fete in that trinity is the annual fall gala of the New Yorkers for Children, a charitable organization that gives support to the city's foster care children.”
“May 3rd, 2008 8: 46 pm ET cunning obama is praying 7 votes into .. 7 points .. sad to see those dumb obama fans still believed in trinity liberal theory teaching .. 7 votes r 7 pontssss? are all obama supporters belonged to black teaching too .. lol”
“Hillary didn't join trinity over 20 years ago, Rev. Wright was not her pastor or mentor, she did not write a book inspired by one of Rev. Wright's sermons.”
“This symbol and strength in trinity has been adopted by everyone's favourite modern witches, reinterpreted as "the power of three, acting as one," by the three sisters of Charmed.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘trinity’.
infallibility, inerrancy, communicable attr..., incommunicable at..., fortuitous incarn..., atonement, hypostatic union, mystical union, spirit-baptism, sanctification, indwelling, fruits of the Hol... and 90 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
List of Girls names.
Christian word branding; common English word-associatives connected to Bible terminology or scripture.
I also have a general Bible-word list.
who is this god person, anyway? (--Douglas Adams)
Words that emcompass large concepts
Words that have been used as baby names, including virtue names, nature names, place names, etc.
The title is an actual name given to a Puritan boy in the 17th century.
Weird words that are weird
Looking for tweets for trinity.