from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hat having the brim turned up on three sides.
- adj. Having three corners, horns, or projections.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A three-sided hat with the brim turned up
- n. A three-horned fractal
- adj. Having three horns or similar projections
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having three horns or horn-like processes.
- n. A hat with three points or horns; a cocked hat having the brim folded upward against the crown on three sides, producing three angles; hence, by popular misapplication, the hat worn by the French gendarmes, which has only two points: usually written as French, tricorne. See cut 13 under hat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. cocked hat with the brim turned up to form three points
French tricorne, from Latin tricornis, three-horned : tri-, tri- + cornū, horn.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)