American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The state of being near in space or relationship; proximity: two restaurants in close vicinity.
- n. A nearby, surrounding, or adjoining region; a neighborhood.
- n. An approximate degree or amount: houses priced in the vicinity of $200,000.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In geometric topics, a place, A, is said to be in the vicinity of a place, B, within a place, C, which contains both A and B, and in a given respect, if, and only if, an object instantaneously filling A can by an ordinary motion move to B without ever leaving C, and without at any instant during its motion occupying any place which differs from A in the given respect.
- n. The quality of being near; nearness in place; propinquity; proximity.
- n. Neighborhood; surrounding or adjoining space, district, or country.
- n. Nearness in intercourse; close relationship.
- n. Synonyms Proximity, etc. See neighborhood.
- n. proximity, or the state of being near
- n. neighbourhood, or the nearby region
- n. approximate size or amount
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being near, or not remote; nearness; propinquity; proximity.
- n. That which is near, or not remote; that which is adjacent to anything; adjoining space or country; neighborhood.
- n. a surrounding or nearby region
- From Latin vicinitas ("neighborhood") > vicinus ("neighbor") > vicus ("village"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin vīcīnitās, from vīcīnus, neighboring, from vīcus, neighborhood; see weik-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In this vicinity is a statue of himself seated rather woodenly on a horse.”
“Muslim world, stressing that the Al-Azhar mosque and university in his vicinity is the centre of the teaching of sunnah.”
“Further, he maintains that the Carson City vicinity is “one of the most beautiful areas” in the West.”
“The Ellibee family conducted a birthing mission in vicinity Mat-Su”
“There's also travel news and interesting facts ( "Part of the cuisine of Huarez, Peru, and vicinity is cuy, better known in English as guinea pig.")”
“Control air traffic on and within vicinity of airport and movement of air traffic between altitude sectors and control centers according to established procedures and policies.”
“Anyone in the vicinity is welcome to pop along; I believe it's two quid admission, one quid fer concessions.”
“Windsor, N.Y., died April 27 from injuries received from a mine explosion while conducting combat operations in vicinity of Hit, Iraq.”
“Suppressing revolution in its own immediate vicinity is an easy if embarrassing task for a superpower.”
“The country in the vicinity is described as being a wilderness of rare trees, matted together with graceful and flowering creepers, the wild haunts of birds of bright and beautiful plumage; but our ardour to visit these tangled shrubberies was damped by the accounts of myriads of xins-xins and garrapatos; little insects that bury themselves in the skin, producing irritation and fever; of the swarming mosquitoes, – the horrid caimans that bask on the shore; and worse than all, the venomous snakes that glide amongst the rank vegetation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vicinity’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
because I love watching criminal minds, csi, and cold case..
My list of words.
The Velvetine Ruffians
-a unit of language consisting of one or more spoken sounds or their written representation, that functions as a principal carrier of meaning.
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee Round 2
Words from a 2009 'Brooklyns Finest' film.
6th Grade Vocabulary, lesson 16
This contains all very commom words used on regular basis but confuses to understand clearly the purpose of use
Looking for tweets for vicinity.