from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A group of attendants or associates; a retinue.
- n. One's environment or surroundings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A retinue of attendants, associates or followers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Surroundings; specif., collectively, one's attendants or associates.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Surroundings; environment; specifically, the persons among whom as followers or companions one is accustomed to move.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the group following and attending to some important person
French, from entourer, to surround, from Old French entour, surroundings : en-, in; see en-1 + tour, circuit; see tour.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French entourage, from entourer ("to surround"). (Wiktionary)