from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who attends or waits on another.
- n. One who is present.
- n. An accompanying thing or circumstance; a concomitant.
- adj. Being present: ships and attendant sailors.
- adj. Accompanying or following as a result: attendant circumstances.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who attends; one who works with or watches something.
- adj. Going with; associated; concomitant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being present, or in the train; accompanying; in waiting.
- adj. Accompanying, connected with, or immediately following, as consequential; consequent.
- adj. Depending on, or owing duty or service to.
- n. One who attends or accompanies in any character whatever, as a friend, companion, servant, agent, or suitor.
- n. One who is present and takes part in the proceedings.
- n. That which accompanies; a concomitant.
- n. One who owes duty or service to, or depends on, another.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Accompanying; being present or in attendance.
- Accompanying, connected, or immediately following as consequential: as, intemperance, with all its attendant evils.
- In law, depending on or connected with something or some person; owing duty or service.
- n. One who attends or accompanies another, in any character; especially, one who belongs to a train or retinue; a follower.
- n. One who attends on or waits the pleasure of another, as a suitor or the like.
- n. Specifically In law, one who owes a duty or service to, or depends on, another.
- n. One who is present, as at a public meeting, for any purpose.
- n. That which accompanies or is consequent on anything.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being present (at meeting or event etc.)
- adj. following or accompanying as a consequence
- n. an event or situation that happens at the same time as or in connection with another
- n. someone who waits on or tends to or attends to the needs of another
- n. a person who is present and participates in a meeting
Middle French (Wiktionary)