American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A sectarian.
- n. A dissenter from an established church, especially a Protestant nonconformist.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of a particular sect, school, party, or profession.
- n. Specifically.
- n. A member or an adherent of a sect in religion; a sectarian: often used opprobriously by those who regard as mere sects all bodies of Christians outside of their own.
- n. Synonyms Dissenter, Schismatic, etc. See heretic.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A sectarian; a member or adherent of a sect; a follower or disciple of some particular teacher in philosophy or religion; one who separates from an established church; a dissenter.
- n. a member of a sect
- Either from the French sectaire or directly from its etymon, the Medieval Latin sectārius, from secta ("sect"). Cognates include the Italian settario and the Portuguese and Spanish sectario. (Wiktionary)
- Medieval Latin sectārius, from Latin secta, sect; see sect. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Cordova, excommunicating each other, and agreed only in a principle of discord, that a sectary is more odious and criminal than an unbeliever.”
“Heavy penalties were denounced against all who should presume to save a prescribed sectary from the just indignation of the gods, and of the emperors.”
“Within an hour the Frenchman had cut off his nose and parted with his wings, and retained nothing about him which recalled the sectary of the god Tingou.”
“We are motivating our members to respond to this in November and the elections next year," said Steven Demofonte, recording sectary of the New Jersey Fraternal Order of Police, in an interview.”
“BNP senior join sectary-general Tareq Rahman situation is very much uncertain.”
“One reason behind the rush to expand is to snap up prime commercial locations, which are a limited resource in any city," said Pei Liang, general sectary of CCFA.”
“What was it the Army called the last defense sectary.”
“* In fact, much of it looks as if it's been copy/pasted from a website written by an equally intransigent and inflexibly-minded sectary.”
“He was born at Rass, in the province of Kasym, in A.H. 245, and first rose as a sectary at”
“We learn from Asamy, that, in 1625, a sectary of Aly was impaled alive at”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sectary’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A list of words that WWF recognizes as valid - most are unusual words; some are simply high-scoring.
I have a list for words learned from Newsweek; here's where I keep all the stuff from other shit I read.
Except when I'm looking stuff up and find new words that way. Those go on their...
Looking for tweets for sectary.