from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A supporter, as of a cause or individual: a vote that pleased adherents of education reform.
- adj. Sticking or holding fast.
- adj. Botany Joined but not united. Used of dissimilar parts or organs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Adhesive, sticking to something.
- adj. Having the quality of clinging or sticking fast to something.
- adj. Attaching or pressing against a different organ.
- n. A person who has membership in some group, association or religion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Sticking; clinging; adhering.
- adj. Attached as an attribute or circumstance.
- adj. Congenitally united with an organ of another kind, as calyx with ovary, or stamens with petals.
- n. One who adheres; one who adheres; one who follows a leader, party, or profession; a follower, or partisan; a believer in a particular faith or church.
- n. That which adheres; an appendage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sticking; clinging; adhering.
- In botany, congenitally united, as parts that are normally separate: generally used as equivalent to adnate. See cut under adnate. In logic and metaphysics, accidentally connected; not belonging to the nature of a thing; not inherent: as, if a cloth is wet, its wetness is a quality adherent to it, not inherent in it.
- n. A person who adheres; one who follows or upholds a leader, party, cause, opinion, or the like; a follower, partizan, or supporter.
- n. Anything outwardly belonging to a person; an appendage.
- n. Synonyms Disciple, pupil, upholder, supporter, dependant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. sticking fast
- n. someone who believes and helps to spread the doctrine of another
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The slain Mungiki adherent is the fourth sect member to be killed by police after members of the outlawed sect hacked two police officers and set their bodies ablaze last Wednesday.
In fact, I'd sooner call adherent to the Chicago Declaration on Biblical Inerrancy "liberals" since they are taking the relatively recent terminology of "inerrancy" and innovating a new definition thereof, without the involvement of, much less the agreement of, large numbers of Christians.
Twitter's version of the calling card should be more developer friendly and it's already more standards adherent, which is another way to say developer friendly.
Myself, I take the approach that if a person self identifies as a adherent of a certain religion, then they are one.
The common honeysuckle, _Lonicera Periclymenum_, is one of these, and it is noticeable in this plant that the calyx remains unaffected -- a circumstance which Morren says shows the distinctness of virescence from frondescence; for, in this instance, we have the most foliaceous portion of the flower remaining unchanged, while the corolla and other organs, usually less leaf-like in their nature, assume a green colour; but this may rather be attributed to the axial nature of the so-called adherent calyx.
So the parasitic Church-member, the literal "adherent," comes not merely to live only within the circle of ideas of his minister, but to be content that his minister has these ideas -- like the literary parasite who fancies he knows everything because he has a good library.
"adherent" enjoyed friendly consideration, especially if he adhered faithfully; and stray attendants from other congregations were treated with punctilious hospitality, places being found for them in the Old
Standing on a curb, resting, Uriel and I are approached by a young San Juditas adherent who starts chatting us up.
Palin is procalimed an adherent of violence for “targeting” Democrats in the coming election.
According to a story in the Los Angeles Times, The Kabbalah Centre is the focus of a federal tax evasion investigation probing, among other things, the finances of two charities connected to Madonna, the center's most famous adherent.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.