American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small figure of a person or animal, having a cloth body and hollow head, designed to be fitted over and manipulated by the hand.
- n. A figure having jointed parts animated from above by strings or wires; a marionette.
- n. A toy representing a human figure; a doll.
- n. One whose behavior is determined by the will of others: a political puppet.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A doll.
- n. A little figure of a person, moved by the fingers, or by cords or wires, in a mock drama; a marionette.
- n. Hence One who is actuated by the will of another; a tool: used in contempt.
- n. plural Toys; trinkets.
- n. The head-stock or the tail-stock of a lathe. See lathe.
- To dress as a doll; bedeck with finery.
- n. Any small model of a person or animal able to be moved by strings, rods or in the form of glove.
- n. figuratively A person, country, etc, controlled by another.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A small image in the human form; a doll.
- n. A similar figure moved by the hand or by a wire in a mock drama; a marionette; a wooden actor in a play.
- n. One controlled in his action by the will of another; a tool; -- so used in contempt.
- n. (Mach.) The upright support for the bearing of the spindle in a lathe.
- n. a small figure of a person operated from above with strings by a puppeteer
- n. a person who is controlled by others and is used to perform unpleasant or dishonest tasks for someone else
- n. a doll with a hollow head of a person or animal and a cloth body; intended to fit over the hand and be manipulated with the fingers
- From Old French poupette, diminutive of poupée, from Vulgar Latin *puppa, from Latin pupa. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English poppet, doll, possibly from Anglo-Norman poppe, doll; see puppy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Things that you really wouldn't think about, like for example, you never use the word 'puppet'.”
“All over the world, all over the Islamic world and the Arab world, it's seen as a blackmail against Iraq and tentative by the Americans to topple a government, the Iraqi government, and to throw it and to put what they call a puppet regime like what has been put in Kabul, what they consider being put in Kabul, the Karzai government.”
“Afghan officials say they were deliberately bypassed in a concession to the Taliban, which has always refused to negotiate with what it labels the "puppet" Karzai government.”
“This was an unlucky speech on the present occasion, for it happened that every body, after having seen what he called my puppet-show, was precisely of this opinion.”
“The Hopi Sinom never authorized the establishment of the Hopi Tribal Council, which they refer to as a puppet government of the United States.”
“The Hopi Sinom never authorized the establishment of the Hopi Tribal Council, which they referred to as a puppet government of the United States.”
“So you mean those imflammatory cartoons showing a hook-nosed ogre dangling an Uncle Sam puppet from a string are true?”
“Seriously, it's perfect: With a pine body impervious to fangs, and a growing nose providing an ever-present stake, the little puppet is ready-made to kill the creatures of the night.”
“Keep up the pressure, gang; the sock-puppet is starting to blow a gasket!!”
“A sock-puppet is not necessarily an evil thing, for instance some bloggers utilize them in order to parody certain stereotypes and can be quite humorous.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘puppet’.
words for those who commit particular crimes: i.e., bank robber, arsonist, etc.
Words for the Whooping Crane Alphabet book
This list, the one shown below this very message, is a collection of words that you cannot begin to fathom how much I adore. The list will also feature atithesis and contrasting words such as the t...
Words used to create the names of Pokémon, which are usually portmanteaux.
My big word list.
This is a list of my favourite words (phrases) in english, as a second language. I love them mostly because of how they sound and their meaning.
Classic Children's Toys and Games and Amusements
These are words that have been used, might have been used, or could be used in association with the current president and/or his administration. They are only listed as a device to remind the read...
Looking for tweets for puppet.