from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The cutting of material such as stone or wood to form a figure or design.
- n. A figure or design formed by this kind of cutting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A carved object.
- v. Present participle of carve.
- v. Executing turns without pivoting.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or art of one who carves.
- n. A piece of decorative work cut in stone, wood, or other material.
- n. The whole body of decorative sculpture of any kind or epoch, or in any material.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or art of carving. Specifically
- n. A branch of sculpture consisting of work of decorative character rather than statuary or monumental relief.
- n. A device or figure carved; a design produced by carving: as, a tomb ornamented with carvings.
- n. In coal-mining, nearly the same as cutting (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. creating figures or designs in three dimensions
- n. removing parts from hard material to create a desired pattern or shape
- n. a sculpture created by removing material (as wood or ivory or stone) in order to create a desired shape
Sorry, no etymologies found.
From my reading of anthropology, it seems fairly clear this carving is an object of reverence, of worship, with fertility being only one aspect of what was revered about her.
Finally, the carving is a model of order, good energy in good order.
While the "artist" who did the carving is the river, the river was ever just trying to flow downhill, to get to the sea.
(i dont think you did because that would be realy hard = P) (and that mario pumpkin carving is cool too)
TWILIGHT PUMPKINS ARE ALL THE RAGE THIS HALLOWEEN www. onlykent.com: Halloween is just round the corner and now is the time for us to start searching for those all important pumpkin carving templates.
Tiffany lamp jack-o-lantern by Elizabeth Camp -- it won this year's Dreamworks Halloween pumpkin carving contest.
Heidi and Jimmy also discussed Halloween -- seemingly Heidi's favorite holiday -- and she told him that pumpkin carving was "so yesterday."
So the skill of a novelist is in carving this great mass of instinct, fact, musing, and imagination into a book that moves along at a nice clip and has a narrative that makes sense.
But I don't need any of that smoking watery lake to hear the oh so close to the insides of my eyes calling syllables of your name carving themselves into my sand grain by grain.
FLATOW: Ah.Mr. WILHELM: You can get some control over that, and you can do some really fantastic pumpkin carving using that technique.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.