American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A three-dimensional form or likeness sculpted, modeled, carved, or cast in material such as stone, clay, wood, or bronze.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A figure of a person or an animal, made of some solid substance, as marble, bronze, iron, or wood, or of any substance of solid appearance; a sculptured, cast, or molded figure, properly of some size (as distinguished from a statuette or figurine) and in the round (as distinguished from a relief or an intaglio).
- n. A picture.
- To place as a statue; form a statue of.
- n. A three-dimensional work of art, usually representing a person or animal, usually created by sculpting, carving, molding, or casting.
- v. transitive To form a statue of; to make into a statue.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The likeness of a living being sculptured or modeled in some solid substance, as marble, bronze, or wax; an image.
- n. obsolete A portrait.
- v. To place, as a statue; to form a statue of; to make into a statue.
- n. a sculpture representing a human or animal
- From Latin statua, derived from statuō ("set up or erect"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French, from Latin statua, from statuere, to set up; see statute. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Let them handle the blue issues like abortion, moonbat marching, and whatever stupid stuff appeals to the socialists and progressives that think the Lenin statue is cool.”
“He did say "Let them handle the blue issues like abortion, moonbat marching, and whatever stupid stuff appeals to the socialists and progressives that think the Lenin statue is cool.”
“The Emma statue is the usual sort of PFF, comprised of a polystone figure with mixed media clothes attached.”
“The base of the statue is an 11-pointed star, part of old Fort Wood; a 150-ft (45-m) pedestal, built through American funding, is made of concrete faced with granite.”
“Being able to put up a statue is a celebration of our freedom as Americans; a freedom to be different, to express those differences, and to do it amongst neighbors - — even if it is in a noodley way.”
“The first thing that struck me about this statue is that, unlike the vast majority of similar collectibles, this one tells a story.”
“The standard edition of the statue is limited to 1000 pieces, while the exclusive that comes with the Brooks art print is limited to 500.”
“Aside from the paint flatness, my only other complaint with the statue is with the necklace.”
“A more sensible type of goal, because running into a stone statue is painful.”
“Archeologists believe the full statue is about three meters tall.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘statue’.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
Very basic words for ESL students.
by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Just got home from Illinois, lock the front door, oh boy!
Got to sit down, take a rest on the porch.
Imagination sets in, pretty soon I'm si...
Looking for tweets for statue.