from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Immobile; unchangeable; stable.
- n. An abstract sculpture, usually of sheet metal, resembling a mobile but having no moving parts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Abstract sculpture or structure of wire, sheet metal, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fixed; firm: noting, in electrotherapeutics, an electrode which is kept applied to one part, as distinguished from a labile electrode, which is moved about over the surface.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (chemistry, physics, biology) resistant to change
- adj. not able or intended to be moved
- n. a sculpture having fixed units (usually constructed of sheet metal) and attached to a fixed support
Latin stabilis, stable; see stable1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin stabilis ("firmly fixed or established") (Wiktionary)