American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To conceive or fashion in the mind; invent: design a good excuse for not attending the conference.
- v. To formulate a plan for; devise: designed a marketing strategy for the new product.
- v. To plan out in systematic, usually graphic form: design a building; design a computer program.
- v. To create or contrive for a particular purpose or effect: a game designed to appeal to all ages.
- v. To have as a goal or purpose; intend.
- v. To create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner.
- v. To make or execute plans.
- v. To have a goal or purpose in mind.
- v. To create designs.
- n. A drawing or sketch.
- n. A graphic representation, especially a detailed plan for construction or manufacture.
- n. The purposeful or inventive arrangement of parts or details: the aerodynamic design of an automobile; furniture of simple but elegant design.
- n. The art or practice of designing or making designs.
- n. Something designed, especially a decorative or an artistic work.
- n. An ornamental pattern. See Synonyms at figure.
- n. A basic scheme or pattern that affects and controls function or development: the overall design of an epic poem.
- n. A plan; a project. See Synonyms at plan.
- n. A reasoned purpose; an intent: It was her design to set up practice on her own as soon as she was qualified.
- n. Deliberate intention: He became a photographer more by accident than by design.
- n. A secretive plot or scheme. Often used in the plural: He has designs on my job.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To draw the outline or figure of, especially of a proposed work of art; trace out; sketch, as a pattern or model.
- To plan or outline in general; determine upon and mark out the principal features or parts of, as a projected thing or act; plan; devise.
- To contrive for a purpose; project for the attainment of a particular end; form in idea, as a scheme.
- To devote to mentally; set apart in intention; intend.
- To purpose; intend; mean: with an infinitive as object: as, he designs to write an essay, or to study law.
- To mark out by tokens; indicate; point out; designate; appoint.
- To signify.
- To do original work in a graphic or plastic art; compose a picture, or make an original plan, as an architect, a landscape-gardener, or an inventor.
- To invent.
- To set out or start, with a certain destination in view; direct one's course.
- n. A drawing, especially in outline or little more; any representation made with pencil, pen, or brush.
- n. A plan or an outline in general; any representation or statement of the main parts or features of a projected thing or act; specifically, in architecture, a plan of an edifice, as represented by the ground-plans, elevations, sections, and whatever other drawings may be necessary to guide its construction.
- n. Artistic invention in drawing or sculpture; the practical application of artistic principles or exercise of artistic faculties; the art of designing.
- n. The arrangement or combination of the details of a picture, a statue, or an edifice.
- n. A scheme or plan in the mind; purpose; intention; aim.
- n. Specifically An intention or a plan to act in some particular way; a project; especially, in a bad sense, a plan to do something harmful or illegal: commonly with upon.
- n. Contrivance; adaptation of means to a preconceived end: as, the evidence of design in a watch.
- n. The purpose for which something exists or is done; the object or reason for something; the final purpose.
- n. Synonyms Drawing, outline, draft, delineation.
- n. Project, Scheme, etc. (see plan, n.), intent, aim, mark, object.
- n. Specifically, in music, either the melodic pattern, the harmonic process, or the rhythmic and metric form adopted in composition, by which a particular work or a class of works is made coherent and characteristic. In the evolution of artistic music the principles of design have been but slowly perceived and established.
- n. A plan (with more or less detail) for the structure and functions of an artifact, building or system.
- n. A pattern, as an element of a work of art or architecture.
- n. The composition of a work of art.
- n. Intention or plot.
- n. The shape or appearance given to an object, especially one that is intended to make it more attractive.
- n. The art of designing
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To draw preliminary outline or main features of; to sketch for a pattern or model; to delineate; to trace out; to draw.
- v. To mark out and exhibit; to designate; to indicate; to show; to point out; to appoint.
- v. To create or produce, as a work of art; to form a plan or scheme of; to form in idea; to invent; to project; to lay out in the mind.
- v. To intend or purpose; -- usually with
forbefore the remote object, but sometimes with to.
- v. To form a design or designs; to plan.
- n. A preliminary sketch; an outline or pattern of the main features of something to be executed, as of a picture, a building, or a decoration; a delineation; a plan.
- n. A plan or scheme formed in the mind of something to be done; preliminary conception; idea intended to be expressed in a visible form or carried into action; intention; purpose; -- often used in a bad sense for evil intention or purpose; scheme; plot.
- n. Specifically, intention or purpose as revealed or inferred from the adaptation of means to an end.
- n. The realization of an inventive or decorative plan; esp., a work of decorative art considered as a new creation; conception or plan shown in completed work.
- n. (Mus.) The invention and conduct of the subject; the disposition of every part, and the general order of the whole.
- v. intend or have as a purpose
- v. plan something for a specific role or purpose or effect
- n. an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions
- n. something intended as a guide for making something else
- n. the act of working out the form of something (as by making a sketch or outline or plan)
- n. a preliminary sketch indicating the plan for something
- v. create designs
- v. make a design of; plan out in systematic, often graphic form
- n. a decorative or artistic work
- n. an arrangement scheme
- v. create the design for; create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner
- v. conceive or fashion in the mind; invent.
- n. the creation of something in the mind
- v. make or work out a plan for; devise.
- From Old French designer, from Latin designare ("to mark out, point out, describe, design, contrive"), from de- (or dis-) + signare ("to mark"), from signum ("mark"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English designen, from Latin dēsignāre, to designate; see designate. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He says that, even though in practice inferring design is the first step in identifying an intelligent agent, taken by itself _design does not require that such an agent be posited.”
“Every fragment of life has its completing part somewhere, given its place in the scheme of the universe by intricate design -- always by _design!”
“Professor Haeckel maintains," says Mr. Wallace, "_that the struggle for existence in nature evolves new forms without design, just as the will of man produces new varieties in cultivation with design_.”
“The inference of intelligence from marks of design in nature is not one of analogy, but of strict and proper _induction_; and accordingly we must either deny that there are marks of _design_ in nature, thereby discarding the _analogy_, or do violence to our own reason by resisting the fundamental law of causality, thereby discarding the inductive inference.”
“It may be how the Nu Gundam is a very solid design in the first place, making the converted Rebornnu Gundam looking more attractive now than the original Reborns Gundam, in Gundam 00 style mecha design~”
“Harness PLM for CATIA, transforms the wiring diagrams to harness design• process of designing electrical harnesses The topology modules in SEE Electrical by leveraging the power of CATIA to For more information: www. harness-design.com Harness allow users to generate and significantly reduce cycle times.”
“My reverend friend is wrong in supposing that I admit DESIGN, and yet refuse to admit the force of the _design argument_, "On the supposition, then, that _law and order_ are manifestations of _design_, the design argument might be valid and conclusive: but" _no conceivable order_ "could prove the existence of God; why?”
“It's not often, after all, that a "new" whisky is a painstaking recreation, from flavor down to the label design, of a whisky that was buried in ice for a full century by the great Antarctic explorer, Sir Ernest Shackleton.”
“Other wineries have used crowd sourcing for things like naming a wine or choosing a label design, but not to decide on things like which strain of yeast or how far apart the rollers are on the grape crusher.”
“ÂOther wineries have used crowd sourcing for things like naming a wine or choosing a label design, but not to decide on things like which strain of yeast or how far apart the rollers are on the grape crusher.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘design’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
The most frequent words in the titles of mathematical books and journals (www.sciencedirect.com)
nonparametric, nonparametric sta..., multivariate anal..., partial different..., multivariate, topology, stochastic, differential equa..., linear algebra, harmonic analysis, applied mathematics, combinatorial and 205 more...
Use these and get promoted
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Words that evoke creativity
These words function as gateways to new spaces that need to be explored.
customhouse, baseline scenario, border enforcement, counterfeiting, copyright, relate..., Customs 2013 WG, customs authorities, customs supervision, disaggregated con..., design, detained goods, dispatch and 21 more...
words to reference while writing something
My big word list.
Looking for tweets for design.