American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that produces designs: a book designer; a dress designer.
- adj. Bearing the name, signature, or identifying pattern of a specific designer: designer luggage; designer clothing.
- adj. Conceived or created by a designer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who designs, plans, or plots; one who frames a scheme or project; a contriver.
- n. In manufacturing and the fine arts, one who conceives or forms a design of any kind, including designs for decorative work; one who invents or arranges motives and patterns for ornamental or artistic purposes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who designs, marks out, or plans; a contriver.
- n. (Fine Arts) One who produces or creates original works of art or decoration.
- n. A plotter; a schemer; -- used in a bad sense.
- n. a person who specializes in designing architectural interiors and their furnishings
- n. someone who designs clothing
- n. someone who specializes in graphic design
- n. a person who devises plots or intrigues
- n. someone who creates plans to be used in making something (such as buildings)
- to design + -er (Wiktionary)
“Employee and aspiring graphic designer Brian Maupin-as much as the current spate of online drag and drop tools makes someone a * designer* - got his ass in trouble over”
“You should try asking the director or even better the title designer, Chris Rolf.”
“The name designer on the 1990 layout was Hubert Chesneau, but the consultant was US architect Robert von Hagge, and more often than not, when a consulting architect is brought in, he does the heavy lifting.”
“And there is no doubt in the industry that Dior, one of the most recognizable and influential brands, will be able to attract a name designer as a successor to Mr. Galliano.”
“The problem I have is that the term designer is thrown around too loosely, and it seems that anyone with basic knowledge of CSS / XHTML, or JS, automatically crowns him or herself as a designer.”
“And remember this: the designer is your partner – not a lackey.”
“If a designer is actively interacting with the world/universe then the results of these actions can be tested for their existence or non-existence.”
“But if you need to revamp space and/or move your walls to recreate the whole dimensions, then going for a designer is a must.”
“If the designer is around, please feel free to explain …”
“Some are now more like artists, creating unique pieces for display in galleries and museums, and a few insist on calling themselves artists, forsaking the term designer outright.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘designer’.
Use these and get promoted
Trying to say something nice to a chesterfield? Here are some suggestions:
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for designer.