from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who organizes, operates, and assumes the risk for a business venture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who organizes and operates a business venture and assumes much of the associated risk.
- n. A person who organizes a risky activity of any kind and acts substantially in the manner of a business entrepreneur.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who takes the initiative to create a product or establish a business for profit; generally, whoever undertakes on his own account an enterprise in which others are employed and risks are taken.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who undertakes a large industrial enterprise; a contractor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who organizes a business venture and assumes the risk for it
French, from Old French, from entreprendre, to undertake; see enterprise.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French entrepreneur. (Wiktionary)