American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To take place; come about. See Synonyms at happen.
- v. To be found to exist or appear: Copper deposits occur in the region.
- v. To come to mind: The idea never occurred to me.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To run to, as for the purpose of assisting.
- To run together; meet; clash.
- To strike the senses; be found; be met with: as, silver often occurs native; the statement occurs repeatedly.
- To emerge as an event into the actual world; happen; take place; come to pass; befall: as, what has occurred?
- To strike the mind: with to.
- Eccles., to coincide in time, so as to interfere each with the celebration of the other: as, two holy days occur. One of the days so occurring may be a Sunday, or a movable feast, the other being an immovable feast.
- To refer: with to.
- Synonyms To come to pass, come about, fall out.
- v. To happen or take place.
- v. To present or offer itself.
- v. To come or be presented to the mind; to suggest itself.
- v. sciences To be present or found.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. obsolete To meet; to clash.
- v. obsolete To go in order to meet; to make reply.
- v. To meet one's eye; to be found or met with; to present itself; to appear.
- v. To happen; to take place.
- v. To come to the mind; to arise in the mind; to suggest itself; to be presented to the imagination or memory; -- of an idea or thought.
- v. come to one's mind; suggest itself
- v. come to pass
- v. to be found to exist
- Originally "meet, meet in argument", from Middle French occurrer, from Latin occurrō ("run to meet, run against, befall, present itself") from prefix ob- ("against") + verb currō ("run, hurry, move"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin occurrere : ob-, toward; see ob- + currere, to run; see kers- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Richard’s first charter to the City (23 April, 1194) (166) granted a few weeks after his return from abroad makes no mention of a mayor, nor does the title occur in any royal charter affecting the City until the year”
“Toxic algae appear to be increasing worldwide as coastal pollution increases. 4 Many fish poisoning are likely to occur from the result of ingesting fish toxic with Harmful Algal Blooms (HAB).”
“Global warming can occur from a variety of causes, both natural and human induced.”
“Levantones occur is two vastly different ways, though.”
“Definitely nothing better then a personal recommendation after a few minutes spent talking about other wines, the only places that can really occur is at a local wine shop.”
“Deficiency is rare, but when it occurs, life-threatening bleeding can occur from the smallest injury.”
“The evacuation of wounded men from this Detachment, should an accident occur, is very difficult, as it is far away from anywhere.”
“The plan for the Deepwater Horizon well, filed with the federal Minerals Management Service, said repeatedly that it was "unlikely that an accidental surface or subsurface oil spill would occur from the proposed activities.”
“Long-term storage problems occur from the poor oxidation stability of biodiesel fuels.”
“Granted I was only 10 in the mid 60s and I lived in Ohio, not Mississippi, but still the idea that the people of these great United States allowed these injustices against blacks to occur is mind boggling.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘occur’.
Use these and get promoted
Terms from the fields of terminology, lexicography, lexicology and corpus linguistics
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
to; toward; before; opposed to; against; upon; over
Note: can change form
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
Very basic words for ESL students.
whetted needed tools grammar pinned village floppy tycoon zoom bonnet tomorrow aardvark cottage glimmer vacuum chivvy moo quizzed puzzle comma annoy nappy little buzz pizzazz letter glowworm horrib...
Looking for tweets for occur.