from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. Archaic To happen or happen to.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Accidentally; by chance.
- v. To happen; chance.
- v. To happen (to); befall to.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. By chance; by accident.
- v. To befall; to chance; to happen to.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To happen; chance.
- To befall; happen to.
- Accidentally; by chance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. happen, occur, or be the case in the course of events or by chance
- v. become of; happen to
From be- + chance. (Wiktionary)
From be- (“by”) + chance. (Wiktionary)
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.