from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The soft vibrant sound made by a cat.
- n. A sound similar to that made by a cat: the purr of an engine.
- intransitive v. To make or utter a soft vibrant sound: The cat purred. The sewing machine purred.
- transitive v. To express by a soft vibrant sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Of a cat, to make a vibrating sound in its throat when contented.
- v. To say (something) in a throaty, seductive manner.
- v. To make a vibrating throaty sound, as from pleasure.
- v. To make a low and consistent rumbling sound.
- n. The vibrating sound made by a cat in its throat when contented.
- n. A throaty, seductive sound of pleasure made by a person.
- n. The low consistent rumble made by an engine at slow speed
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. To murmur as a cat. See pur.
- n. The low murmuring sound made by a cat; pur. See pur.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To utter a low murmuring sound expressive of satisfaction or pleasure, as a cat.
- To express or signify by purring.
- n. The sound made by a cat in purring.
- n. See pur.
- n. A sandpiper, Tringa alpina, commonly called dunlin.
- n. A bivalve of the family Veneridæ, Tapes decussata.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. indicate pleasure by purring; characteristic of cats
- v. make a soft swishing sound
- n. a low vibrating sound typical of a contented cat
Imitative.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)