from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To laugh quietly or to oneself.
- intransitive v. To cluck or chuck, as a hen.
- n. A quiet laugh of mild amusement or satisfaction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A quiet laugh.
- v. To laugh quietly or inwardly.
- v. Sounds made by chicken.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A short, suppressed laugh; the expression of satisfaction, exultation, or derision.
- intransitive v. To laugh in a suppressed or broken manner, as expressing inward satisfaction, exultation, or derision.
- transitive v. To call, as a hen her chickens; to cluck.
- transitive v. To fondle; to cocker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a clucking sound, as a hen.
- To laugh in a suppressed, covert, or sly manner; express inward satisfaction, derision, or exultation by subdued laughter.
- To call by chucking or clucking, as a hen her chicks.
- as a chuckle.
- To chuck under the chin; fondle.
- To rock upon its center while rotating, as the runner of a grinding-mill.
- n. The call of a hen to her young; a cluck.
- n. A sly suppressed laugh, expressive of satisfaction, exultation, or the like; hence, any similar sound.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. laugh quietly or with restraint
- n. a soft partly suppressed laugh
* chuckle, chuckle* by Tom Murphy on Monday, Dec 8, 2008 at 2: 53: 02 PM
Thompson is such a wry, friendly presence that his every utterance draws a chuckle from the faithful (most of the time a deserved one, though sometimes he'll say "thanks" and they'll still be in stitches).
What makes me chuckle is how Microsoft Excel has become the modern-day weapon of choice for any discerning would-be Senior Leadership Team ‘member’ – there are spreadsheets for this, spreadsheets for that – hell, they probably even have starched spreadsheets on their beds.
Also recommended, if you like a good chuckle is his Nobel-nominated novel “The Phases of Harry Moon,” which you can find if you look.
The latest chuckle from the radical right lobbying group "Family Research Council", via their email update list today: In a tale of ironic tragedy a new study reveals that the Democratic Party is literally killing its political base.
HOUSTON Jake Delhomme has to laugh, a Cajun chuckle from the heart.
They expected to get dashed to death at the bottom as they went flying down past the different floors, and heard a fiendish chuckle from the Frenchman above their heads.
Falco's hooker-girlfriend wants enough money to send her son to a decent school; the john whom Falco sets her up with only wants a "chuckle" - a moment of sexual fun to help him forget who he is.
Space dust hasn’t changed much over time and there isn’t much of it (Alley’s deadpan delivery of this line raised a chuckle from the audience).
February 8th, 2010 at 10: 04 am well i got a chuckle from the story. what i laughed at more was the complaints about what is good and not good fiction and what should and shouldn’t be published on the EDF web site. i didn’t realize that commenting on EDF policy constituted constructive critism for the author. laura Says:
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.