American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To laugh quietly or to oneself.
- v. To cluck or chuck, as a hen.
- n. A quiet laugh of mild amusement or satisfaction.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a clucking sound, as a hen.
- To laugh in a suppressed, covert, or sly manner; express inward satisfaction, derision, or exultation by subdued laughter.
- To call by chucking or clucking, as a hen her chicks.
- as a chuckle.
- n. The call of a hen to her young; a cluck.
- n. A sly suppressed laugh, expressive of satisfaction, exultation, or the like; hence, any similar sound.
- To chuck under the chin; fondle.
- To rock upon its center while rotating, as the runner of a grinding-mill.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. obsolete To call, as a hen her chickens; to cluck.
- v. obsolete To fondle; to cocker.
- n. A short, suppressed laugh; the expression of satisfaction, exultation, or derision.
- v. To laugh in a suppressed or broken manner, as expressing inward satisfaction, exultation, or derision.
- v. laugh quietly or with restraint
- n. a soft partly suppressed laugh
- Probably frequentative of chuck3. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“* chuckle, chuckle* by Tom Murphy on Monday, Dec 8, 2008 at 2: 53: 02 PM”
“Thompson is such a wry, friendly presence that his every utterance draws a chuckle from the faithful (most of the time a deserved one, though sometimes he'll say "thanks" and they'll still be in stitches).”
“What makes me chuckle is how Microsoft Excel has become the modern-day weapon of choice for any discerning would-be Senior Leadership Team ‘member’ – there are spreadsheets for this, spreadsheets for that – hell, they probably even have starched spreadsheets on their beds.”
“Also recommended, if you like a good chuckle is his Nobel-nominated novel “The Phases of Harry Moon,” which you can find if you look.”
“The latest chuckle from the radical right lobbying group "Family Research Council", via their email update list today: In a tale of ironic tragedy a new study reveals that the Democratic Party is literally killing its political base.”
“HOUSTON Jake Delhomme has to laugh, a Cajun chuckle from the heart.”
“They expected to get dashed to death at the bottom as they went flying down past the different floors, and heard a fiendish chuckle from the Frenchman above their heads.”
“Falco's hooker-girlfriend wants enough money to send her son to a decent school; the john whom Falco sets her up with only wants a "chuckle" - a moment of sexual fun to help him forget who he is.”
“Space dust hasn’t changed much over time and there isn’t much of it (Alley’s deadpan delivery of this line raised a chuckle from the audience).”
“February 8th, 2010 at 10: 04 am well i got a chuckle from the story. what i laughed at more was the complaints about what is good and not good fiction and what should and shouldn’t be published on the EDF web site. i didn’t realize that commenting on EDF policy constituted constructive critism for the author. laura Says:”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chuckle’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Single verbs that describe expression or emotional reaction. "He __ed" (smiled/gulped/scoffed...)
Animal sounds in different languages, and the verbs that specify them.
Since Georgetown took down their page, the current definitive website for this information is:
Words that end like pickle. Listed here because they're funny (because they end like pickle).
Words and phrases uttered in the American sitcom 30 Rock, produced by Tina Fey. Anyone can add to this list. Please don't judge me for citing television instead of literature. LOL.
freakydeakies nee..., honkey grandma be..., straight up menta..., gorgasm: the lege..., pediatric restles..., by the hammer of ..., that's a thing, nut-log-anne-hech..., skanky club sex, sabor de soledad, paralyzing irish ..., the frank schlong and 79 more...
Words that speak humor
"These are talking words," I announce. "You mean verbs that can be used for dialogue?" you ask. "That's right!" I agree.
words that make you smile...
can be funny words, oxymorons or words describing laughter and fun.
A collection of words author Stephenie Meyer overuses and abuses in her 'Twilight' series of young adult vampire fiction. Every time you read one of these words in her books, you will GRIMACE and C...
Feel good words.
Words that are fun to say....
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 1972 more...
Looking for tweets for chuckle.