American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A snorting, joyful laugh or chuckle.
- v. To utter a chortle or express with a chortle.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To exclaim exultingly, with a noisy chuckle: a vaguely suggestive word used in the first passage quoted, and since taken up by other writers in the sense defined.
- n. A joyful, somewhat muffled laugh, rather like a snorting chuckle.
- v. intransitive To laugh with a chortle or chortles.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. Humorous A word coined by Lewis Carroll (Charles L. Dodgson), and usually explained as a combination of
- n. a soft partly suppressed laugh
- v. laugh quietly or with restraint
- Coined by Lewis Carroll in his poem Jabberwocky, perhaps as a blend of chuckle and snort. (Wiktionary)
- Blend of chuckle and snort. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Although manteau = cloak and portmanteau = carry + cloak, "portmanteau word" was a coinage by Lewis Carroll, to refer to words like "chortle" chuckle + snort and so called because it resembled the Gladstone bag style of portmanteau, which has two equal compartments that fasten together in the middle.”
“I love that crazy guy who is sometimes on the bus who has a laugh that actually might fit the word "chortle".”
“He had to say "chortle" at the end to signify that that was a joke.”
“Dan Colen responds at disjointed length in comments, Dan is seriously hung up on the word "chortle".”
“When I indicate a "chortle", I am indeed chortling ... living proof of this has been captured on video, at the link above.”
“Kind of hard for a critic to say much beyond a chortle of self-recognition”
“But it seems a bit of a stretch for Prime Minister José Sócrates, a candidate for re-election on June 5, to chortle that the bailout is "a big success.”
“I wish you guys could do my happy dance with me and chant "oh yeah ... oh yeah ..." and chortle "woo woo, woo wooo" in a high pitched sing song-y voice.”
“I was always amused by the vegetarians who would ask for "carne guisada without the meat .." (chortle!) 11: 02 AM tbsamsel said ...”
“Sadly, his answer, wrapped in a chortle was, "Oh! Yeah, now you do!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chortle’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Music brings silence's to raging thoughts and temperament , calm, as it is our object of definite purpose.
Single verbs that describe expression or emotional reaction. "He __ed" (smiled/gulped/scoffed...)
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Buzzwords of our time
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Wonderful words or phrases authors have invented
Nonce words are one-time word formations, recorded or non-recorded (which may occur several times within a literary work or utterance). A hapax legomenon is a recorded one-time word formation withi...
Pretty words that also have pretty meanings. They're special...add your own prettiness.
Feel good words.
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
Looking for tweets for chortle.