from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Modest and reserved in manner or behavior.
- adj. Affectedly shy, modest, or reserved. See Synonyms at shy1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Quiet, modest, reserved, sober, or serious.
- v. To look demurely.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of sober or serious mien; composed and decorous in bearing; of modest look; staid; grave.
- adj. Affectedly modest, decorous, or serious; making a show of gravity.
- intransitive v. To look demurely.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sober; grave; modest; formally decorous: as, a demure look.
- Affectedly modest; making a demonstration of gravity or decorum.
- To look with reserve or bashfulness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. affectedly modest or shy especially in a playful or provocative way
Above his head, Jasmine curls her body into a Scorpion, her expression demure, bordering on bashful.
All that tenderest care and kindest heart could suggest was done to make me comfortable by my kind hosts; and the cavalcade of retainers, with which I had come out so gayly, followed in demure silence.
McCain makes the Bush daughters look demure, which is a shame: we had so much hope for them taking over their father's mantle, but McCain looks like she will be fun too.
She actually envied the simplicity of Lucy Morris, for whom she delighted to find evil names, calling her demure, a prig, a sly puss, and so on.
Morris, for whom she delighted to find evil names, calling her demure, a prig, a sly puss, and so on.
Both very, very -- kind of demure and kind of quiet.
It peeps out, even in the most serious passages, in a kind of demure rebellion against the fanaticism of his remorseless intelligence.
In repose, it had a look of having just finished saying something humorous, a kind of demure appreciation of itself.
There was no doubt that the official was equally attracted and fascinated by her prettiness, and although her acceptance of his return was certainly not a cordial one, there was a kind of demure restraint and over-consciousness in her manner that might be coquetry.
Thimister Couture Red Hooded Dress-This is totally reminiscent of early, "demure" Gaga.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.