from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Undisturbed by tumult or disorder; calm or quiet. See Synonyms at calm.
- adj. Satisfied; complacent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. calm and quiet; peaceful; tranquil
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pleased; contented; unruffied; undisturbed; serene; peaceful; tranquil; quiet; gentle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Gentle; quiet; undisturbed; equable; serene; calm; unruffled; peaceful; mild.
- Synonyms Tranquil, Serene, etc. See calm.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not easily irritated
- adj. (of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves
Latin placidus, from placēre, to please; see plāk-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin placidus ("peaceful, calm, placid"), from placeō ("please, satisfy"). (Wiktionary)