from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Separated; disconnected: a detached part; a detached plug.
- adj. Standing apart from others; separate: a house with a detached garage.
- adj. Marked by an absence of emotional involvement and an aloof, impersonal objectivity. See Synonyms at cool.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of a house: not joined to another house on either side.
- adj. Having little or no emotions or interest towards someone else.
- adj. Not influenced by anyone else; characterized by an impersonal objectivity; impartial.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of detach.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Separate; unconnected, or imperfectly connected.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Disjoined or dissociated; not united or not contiguous; being or becoming separate; unattached: as, detached rocks or portions of rock; a detached house; detached bodies of troops.
- Of a separate character; belonging to a detached person or body: chiefly military: as, to be employed on detached service or duty; a detached mission.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not fixed in position
- adj. no longer connected or joined
- adj. used of buildings; standing apart from others
- adj. being or feeling set or kept apart from others
- adj. showing lack of emotional involvement
- adj. lacking affection or warm feeling
Sorry, no etymologies found.