from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Feeling or marked by resignation; acquiescent: "I like trees because they seem more resigned to the way they have to live than other things do” ( Willa Cather).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Characterized by resignation or acceptance.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of resign.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Submissive; yielding; not disposed to resist or murmur.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Surrendered: given up.
- Feeling resignation; submissive.
- Synonyms Unresisting, yielding, uncomplaining, meek. See patience.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
(These "step down" announcements in the music world have a whiff of anticlimax when it emerges that the person who has "resigned" is actually sticking around for months and months to come.)
Former President Al Rhea resigned from the board last month.
She is also brave and defiant: Ms. Hussein resigned her position as press officer for the United Nations, which could have earned her immunity from the charges, to stand trial.
When Palin resigned in July, she cited the burden of the legal fees as one reason for stepping down.
We should all be glad that Gregg saw he was being manipulated before he resigned from the Senate.
He faced the death penalty, but was exonerated, in part because of a lack of evidence, and resigned from the Marines in 2005.
There was further confusion in Westminster tonight after no one at all resigned from the cabinet for more than an hour.
Attending the hearing was Rod Beckstrom, who just resigned from a key cybersecurity post in the Department of Homeland Security, protesting controls put on him by the National Security Agency.
Palin resigned there were stories much like the stories surrounding Gov.
Hostra assistant Mo Cassara was promoted Wednesday to succeed Tim Welsh, who resigned from the head coaching job on Monday, two days after ...
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.