American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, causing, or characterized by lethargy.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Affected with lethargy; morbidly sluggish or drowsy; dull; torpid.
- Marked by lethargy or languor; manifesting sluggishness or apathy: as, lethargic movements; a lethargic government.
- Producing lethargy; causing languor or apathy; stupefying.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Pertaining to, affected with, or resembling, lethargy; morbidly drowsy; dull; heavy.
- adj. deficient in alertness or activity
- From Ancient Greek ληθαργικός (lethargikos), from λήθαργος (lēthargos, "forgetful, lethargic"), from λήθη (lēthē, "a forgetting, forgetfulness") (from which Lethe ("river in Hades")) + ἀργός (argos, "not working") (Wiktionary)
“In an interview, Michael Lamach, chief executive officer, said he thinks the U.S. economy, while avoiding a double-dip recession, may well remain "lethargic" for a long spell.”
“After losing at Memphis a day earlier, the Heat looked lethargic from the start against Milwaukee.”
“A muffled hero caught in lethargic intrigue that will be disturbing news for readers who haven't already heard that many Austrians are in deep denial about their wartime history and that American hands aren't exactly clean in the matter of rehabilitating Nazis.”
“If you call a lethargic transmission, a strained engine with 80 horsepower less but no mpg gain, and no on-pavement AWD a reason to win, with no such flaws in the Ram.”
“We’ve all been there: lounging in lethargic bliss after more than a month of turkey, ham, cookies, pies and pastries.”
“*** Shipping United Parcel Service reported an 81% surge in third-quarter profit to $991 million and raised its 2010 financial forecast amid what the shipping giant called a lethargic economic recovery.”
“The deer have been described as lethargic and frothing at the mouth.”
“Work Ethic (4) - At times lethargic, which is inexcusable for someone who can move at light speed without effort.”
“The 10th-ranked Eagles (18-6) snapped out of what coach Kathy Gibson characterized as a lethargic defensive showing in the first half.”
“The last high-rated television appearance for Britney was that MTV Video Music Awards performance for which she was roundly criticized for giving what could at best be described as a lethargic performance.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lethargic’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
most vocab in the textbook Page till end chapter 2.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
bumwank, calamity, recalcitrant, gayenese, jeeze, nonsense, flabbergasted, juxtapose, procrastinating, ossanity, biffing, loser and 1972 more...
My list of words.
This is a mix of new words I've read studying for the GRE verbal and words I use normally. I also check back on these words if I don't use them often enough.
Looking for tweets for lethargic.